Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com> on 2004/09/16 21:22:38 UTC

Indestructible repositories

I'm posting this here rather than the Avalon list because I can't work out
if my problem is a James issue due to usage or an Avalon issue due to
implementation...

It seems that it is not possible to delete or rename repositories. These two
features are critical for the IMAP work as both are required features of any
IMAP host.

Therefore who should be responsible for deleting/renaming repositories?
My current opinion is that this should be done at the MailRepository
interface level and thus the repository implementers issue. For the file:
implementation this would then involve file system calls to manipulate the
directories. However, this requires knowledge of the internal workings of
the store and therefore tightly couples the repository to the Store. This is
bad OO practice and doesn't feel right. For db: I think it's quite easy as
we have full control so there is less pain.

Any comments?

-- Jason