Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Brian <br...@pop.net> on 2002/08/24 21:37:51 UTC

Windows Apache - Frustrated; Got a helping hand?

Hello,
	I'm having a problem with my Apache server on Windows 2000 Pro.  The
quick facts are:

Windows 2000 Pro
500 MHz P3
256 M RAM
Apache 2.0.40

The problem that occurs is that it seems when I get several people
trying to access the server at once, it just takes FOREVER to get the
attention of the server.  Plain vanilla text-based pages load very fast,
but images or movie downloads take a long time to even START downloading
and then once started, they crawl along.  This happens even from a web
browser running on the server itself!  I run about 3% cpu utilization
and only around 180M out of 256M RAM is in use.  The disk isn't
thrashing and the computer itself responds normally.

I looked in the error.log and see nothing but a few errors here and
there like this one:

[Sat Aug 24 15:22:17 2002] [warn] (22564)The specified network name is
no longer available.  : winnt_accept: Asynchronous AcceptEx failed.

The access logs indicate that at peak times, I'm getting around 50 hits
per minute (sometimes from the same IP) to download movies ranging from
5-200 megs each.  I think these are some wiseguys with those "download
accelerator" programs.  I'm thinking that maybe it's people like that
that are screwing up the setup.  To try to test that, I have been
playing with ThreadsPerChild and MaxRequestsPerChild.  What are good
values for that?  I am not running out of CPU/RAM/Disk Speed/Network
Capacity so I can adjust them if you guys think that will help, but so
far, I can't seem to figure it out.

Is there an easy way to see how many requests are in the queue?  Any
ideas on my problem?

Thanks so much!

Brian