Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "M. Richey" <mr...@gmx.de> on 2011/09/13 21:16:00 UTC

Adding modules from within a plugin?

Hello everybody,

we have some configuration information in XML files I wrote a plugin for. The problem is, that depending on that configuration some modules should be included in that build. Because activating a profile by properties is not working properly I would like to either add the modules to the current build from within my plugin or activate a profile defining these modules.

Is this possible? How can it be done? Can modules be added to the current build or profiles being activated from a plugin? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Maik

Re: Adding modules from within a plugin?

Posted by "M. Richey" <mr...@gmx.de>.
Setting a property in the plugin which is defined to activate a profile won't activate it because profiles get activated before executing plugins and it is still problematic activating profiles by properties not getting set via -D at the beginning. So I couldn't set a property during the execution of my plugin which activates a profile then.

Regards,

Maik

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 9:20 AM, M. Richey <mr...@gmx.de> wrote:

> No worries, we do not think about using the maven-release-plugin... :)
>
> Using the skip configuration does not work either. First of all not all plugins do support skip configuration.

File some JIRAs and perhaps in a few weeks this will be solved?

The second problem is that setting the appropriate property in my
plugin does not skip the execution.

I've done *this* about 100 times, so if it's not working for you
please post some details.

> So at the moment I have no chance to handle my problem? :(

Make Friends with -P and use shell scripts to arbitrate? Try the
maven-invoker-plugin to organize the top-level execution?

Posted by "M. Richey" <mr...@gmx.de>.
No worries, we do not think about using the maven-release-plugin... :)

Using the skip configuration does not work either. First of all not all plugins do support skip configuration. The second problem is that setting the appropriate property in my plugin does not skip the execution.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. Richey" <mr...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> We are generating some views for different devices. For each device we got a XML with the configuration for that device. What is generated then and how is configured in some poms and inherited into the views project.
>
> So, the profiles we are using already and the properties for skipping the execution of one or another plugin are therefore the same.
>
> That is why I said that I can't imagine how this should be put into poms.

How about this instead. Write a plugin that parses your XML config
files and outputs another pom with the various configuration etc, one
pom per device. Then (manually) run your Maven build using that pom. I
assume you know about mvn -f right?

I don't think going down the road of modifying the reactor via a
plugin after the build has started up is going to be easy, so just
don't bother with it, try another approach instead.

Wayne

Re: Adding modules from within a plugin?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Shared code goes in a project and you use a project for each device that
depends on the code project and adds the device specific configuration.

Ron

On 14/09/2011 10:56 AM, M. Richey wrote:
> We are generating some views for different devices. For each device we got a XML with the configuration for that device. What is generated then and how is configured in some poms and inherited into the views project.
>
> So, the profiles we are using already and the properties for skipping the execution of one or another plugin are therefore the same.
>
> That is why I said that I can't imagine how this should be put into poms.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Maik
>

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>> Datum: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 08:52:50 -0500
>> Von: Wayne Fay<wa...@gmail.com>
>> An: Maven Users List<us...@maven.apache.org>
>> Betreff: Re: Adding modules from within a plugin?
>> aggregator
>>> Unfortunately that is not an option and won't work either. Thanks for
>> the idea anyway. Let me know if you got another one.
>>
>> Again, I have to ask, why not? You need to tell us specifics if you
>> want better answers.
>>
>> Wayne

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Adding modules from within a plugin?

Posted by "M. Richey" <mr...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "M. Richey" <mr...@gmx.de>.

Posted by Ansgar Konermann <an...@googlemail.com>.
Maybe you could convert your configuration data into a tailored aggregator
pom, containing the optional modules depending on this data. The aggregator