Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Nina Pham <ni...@gibbons.com> on 2005/06/08 22:05:14 UTC

is webdav really usefull?

I just upgrade my svn server to version 1.2 on my fedora core 2 server
and also try to use webdav autoversioning. I have some issues using
webdav autoversioning on my XP PC which makes me not so sure about how
useful webdav is.
 I added a network place to add my repository.
    1. The folder appears and I have to copy files that I want to change
to another place to be able to edit then copy back to the original folder.
    2. Can not give the logging comments.

I think it would take less time to just checkout using either https, or
samba. One doesn't have to do copy, edit, and recopy, and you can
provide comments when doing commit. In addition, there are more things
you can do from https/samba checkout working copy than webdav.
Please correct if I'm wrong.

Re: is webdav really usefull?

Posted by Kyle Kline <ky...@gmail.com>.
WebDAV is *very* useful ... esp. on a team of non-technical people managing
a large amount of content. They don't need full version control, but is a
must-have to be able to look at histories when needed. I am using WebDrive +
SVN WebDAV for some non-software projects and have nothing but good things
to say about it -- SVN functions as an awesome versioned file system. The
solution even works well over VPN and lower bandwidth connections. (Much
faster to browse a mounted WebDAV folder over a low-bandwidth connection
than a Windows fileshare!)

-Kyle

Re: is webdav really usefull?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.

Re: is webdav really usefull?

Posted by Eric Gorr <ma...@ericgorr.net>.

Re: is webdav really usefull?

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jun 8, 2005, at 3:05 PM, Nina Pham wrote:

> I just upgrade my svn server to version 1.2 on my fedora core 2
> server and also try to use webdav autoversioning. I have some
> issues using webdav autoversioning on my XP PC which makes me not
> so sure about how useful webdav is.
> I added a network place to add my repository.
>    1. The folder appears and I have to copy files that I want to
> change to another place to be able to edit then copy back to the
> original folder.
>    2. Can not give the logging comments.
>
> I think it would take less time to just checkout using either
> https, or samba. One doesn't have to do copy, edit, and recopy, and
> you can provide comments when doing commit. In addition, there are
> more things you can do from https/samba checkout working copy than
> webdav.
> Please correct if I'm wrong.

Please read this newly rewritten book explanation of autoversioning,
especially the Webfolders section:

    http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.webdav.clients.html

In short, XP 'network place' is a lousy dav client, not able to do
much.  If you were to get a better DAV client like netdrive or
webdrive, then every application could use webdav transparently.  The
repository would appear to be a drive letter.