Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Johan Grafstrom <gr...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/31 14:04:59 UTC

Parallel subversion installs possible?

Hello,

We are using Subversion 1.3.0 on a Slackware 10.2.0 host together with
Trac, and it is working very fine indeed. I am considering upgrading to
the latest release of Subversion however (mostly due to performance
improvements since we occasionally have dirs with lots of files). My plan
was to upgrade Trac and dependencies at the same time, and to do it in a
separate tree to be able to try it out before switching over.

Doing:

# ./configure \
        --prefix=/usr/local/experimental/subversion1.4.5 \
        --with-apr=/usr/local/experimental/httpd-2.2.8/ \
        --with-apr-util=/usr/local/experimental/httpd-2.2.8 \
   && make && make install
# /usr/local/experimental/subversion1.4.5/bin/svn help

  gives me

"svn: Mismatched RA version for 'dav': found 1.4.5, expected 1.3.0"

Searching around I found some hints pointing to the INSTALL (Imagine!) where:
  "First off, if you have any Subversion libraries lying around
       from previous 'make installs', clean them up first!

           # rm -f /usr/local/lib/libsvn* ..."

Now, is this final? And does it mean I cannot test a new Subversion
version without removing the old one first? If it is possible, how then?
(I would imagine something with hardcoded library paths using --rpath ld
option...)

If it is not possible, wouldn't it be a nice feature to have?

A less important note: Is the above error message wrong? Why does it
expect RA version 1.3.0? 1.3.0 is the OLD one??

Best regards,

     Johan Grafström