Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by Pierre Gregoire <yu...@videotron.ca> on 1997/04/20 22:20:02 UTC

general/432: In standalone mode server will hang and stop serving pages, have to use inetd mode

>Number:         432
>Category:       general
>Synopsis:       In standalone mode server will hang and stop serving pages, have to use inetd mode
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
All versions I've tried really, I've loaded all the ones I could including
the most recent 1.2b8, loaded precompiled one (1.1.1) off apache.org
binaries directory.

I run 1.1.1 apache on SCO 3.2.4.2 in standalone mode and
it works flawlessly.

Standalone Mode:

I've always had this problem since using the server. It will stop
serving pages after about 10 to 15 minutes of use, ie: I've got a
page that will load pages every minute and a midi different every 2 minutes.

The apache server (everything else is okay) will stop,
I cannot kill it, cannot restart it, nothing. Have to shutdown system and
restart.

INETD Mode  (very slow, not very fast)

The server runs okay, except it will core dump after a timeout has elapsed
as it is shutting down. Had to write a crontab to remove the core dumps
every 10 minutes, since unixware will generate a unique core dump file
core.pid (pid being the pid of the process when it core dumped).
Before I realized this (my system got full approx 100mb of core dumps).

>How-To-Repeat:
Let me know and I'll start the server in standalone mode and by repeatedly
this will take you to my site here. I run in inetd mode all the time, until
I can rectify this problem.
>Fix:
Well this is definitely an OS problem in Unixware 2.01 TCP/IP but it is
hard to know. I've seen a lot of patches for this version. But most likely
I will have to load and upgrade to 2.03. Hopefully I won't have to reload the
whole OS. The core dump problem is seen also on SCO 5.0.0 running in inetd
with version 1.1.1 compiled for SCO 5.0.0

Any Ideas will be very welcome

Re: general/432: In standalone mode server will hang and stop serving pages, have to use inetd mode

Posted by Chuck Murcko <ch...@topsail.org>.
Have you applied SCO patch tf2163?

(copy sent to reporter of bug)

--