Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by "Jake G." <dj...@yahoo.com> on 2013/09/06 06:35:15 UTC

Help with host network config KVM + Centos

Hi all,

I have a single centOS 6.4 KVM host with two NICs

eth0: 192.168.100.131/24 GW 192.168.100.254 is for public access (internet access)
eth1: 10.3.9.50/8 no GW is for management access

Could someone please help me with the initial configuration to work with KVM and Cloudstack?
This setup is different than the documentation.

Thank you for your help in advance!

Re: Help with host network config KVM + Centos

Posted by Nguyen Anh Tu <ng...@gmail.com>.
2013/9/6 Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
>  DEVICE=eth0
>  BOOTPROTO=none
>  IPV6INIT=no
>  NM_CONTROLLED=no
>  ONBOOT=yes
>  TYPE=OVSPort
>  DEVICETYPE=ovs
>  OVS_BRIDGE=cloudbr0
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
>  DEVICE=eth1
>  BOOTPROTO=none
>  IPV6INIT=no
>  NM_CONTROLLED=no
>  ONBOOT=yes
>  TYPE=OVSPort
>  DEVICETYPE=ovs
>  OVS_BRIDGE=cloudbr1
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cloudbr0
>  DEVICE=cloudbr0
>  ONBOOT=yes
>  DEVICETYPE=ovs
>  TYPE=OVSBridge
>  BOOTPROTO=static
>  IPADDR=172.16.10.10
>  GATEWAY=172.16.10.1
>  NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>  HOTPLUG=no
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-cloudbr1
>  DEVICE=cloudbr1
>  ONBOOT=yes
>  DEVICETYPE=ovs
>  TYPE=OVSBridge
>  BOOTPROTO=none
>  HOTPLUG=no

Hi Sanjeev,

I followed this configuration on my CS + KVM + Openvswitch. Host was added
correctly, System VMs started but can't be ping or ssh. Does this
configuration work on your setup?

--

N.g.U.y.e.N.A.n.H.t.U

RE: Help with host network config KVM + Centos

Posted by Sanjeev Neelarapu <sa...@citrix.com>.
Yes

Posted by "Jake G." <dj...@yahoo.com>.
Thank you very much for this.

Are you using openvswitch for this config?

________________________________

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Open vSwitch is not required.  For this configuration I don't think any
special configuration is required on the host or in CloudStack.  Try
simply adding the host.  CloudStack should detect the default gateway on
eth0 and create the necessary bridge on it.  All traffic types will use
that bridge by default.

My main concern is if CloudStack will work with the multi-homed
configuration.  If after adding the host you find that the CPVM is not
working, it may be trying and failing to connect to 10.3.9.50, so you
may need to explicitly configure management traffic to use eth1.  This
is done by creating a bridge on eth1 and updating the traffic label in
CloudStack.

Best regards,
Kirk

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
This is what I was trying to do without success as well.
More details greatly appreciated!

Ron
On 20/09/2013 11:26 AM, David Ortiz wrote:
> Jake,
>       Are you trying to just get something up and running, or do you specifically want to divide traffic up in a certain way?  If the former, I believe I was able to set my hosts up with just the bridge setup pointing at eth0 without any sort of VLANs.  It was either that, or without special setup of any kind.
> Thanks,      Dave
>
>> Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 22:05:32 -0700
>> From: dj_dark_junglist@yahoo.com
>> Subject: Help with host network config KVM + Centos
>> To: users@cloudstack.apache.org
>>
>> Hi all,
>>

>> I have a single centOS 6.4 KVM host with two NICs
>>
>> eth0: 192.168.100.131/24 GW 192.168.100.254 is for public access (internet access)
>> eth1: 10.3.9.50/8 no GW is for management access
>>
>> Could someone please help me with the initial configuration to work with KVM and Cloudstack?
>> This setup is different than the documentation. I do not want to use openvswitch if possible.
>>
>> Thank you for your help in advance!

--
Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

RE: Help with host network config KVM + Centos

Posted by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com>.
Jake,