Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Roger Whitcomb <rw...@apache.org> on 2013/10/28 15:50:05 UTC

Question about Apache-Extras

Hello,
     I'm the Apache Pivot PMC chair, and Pivot is hosting some
associated code at Apache-Extras.  We're concerned about the change in
policy that will not be supporting downloads anymore, and would like to
know if ComDev is in discussions about this?  Are there plans to move
Apache-Extras somewhere else, or host the downloads at Google Drive (as
Google suggests)?  Or .....

Thanks in advance,
~Roger Whitcomb
Apache Pivot PMC Chair
rwhitcomb@apache.org

P.S. Apache OpenOffice are also concerned, so I have copied them as well.

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-change-to-google-code-download-service.html

Re: Question about Apache-Extras

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On 1/7/14 11:15 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> On 22/12/2013 Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> OFBiz is concerned as well. We have several components there and we
>> would like to know if a replacement solution has been planned?
>> https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/search?q=label%3aOFBiz
>
> Another round of Board reports, so I'm asking if there is any update too. The
> original post http://s.apache.org/hzJ stated January 15 as a deadline. So, any
> news on the following two questions?
>
> 1) Does the Google Code change affect Apache Extras?
>
> 2) Are there plans to make the lost functionality available in some other ways?
>
> Infra clearly stated that this is "a ComDev issue".
>
> Thanks,
>   Andrea.

If moving away from Google Code is desired, an option to consider would be using
Apache Allura (podling) and/or SourceForge (which runs Allura).  Allura has
importers for Google Code wikis, tickets and source repos.  For files, Allura
itself doesn't have download system, but SourceForge does (AOO uses it too) and
SourceForge has implemented a Google Code files importer for it.  SourceForge's
docs about it are at
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Google%20Code%20Importer/

Note: these importers currently choke on the extra "/a/apache-extras.org" in the
URL.  I'm sure that would be easy enough for us to fix if anyone wanted to
proceed in this direction.

I'm a member of the Allura PPMC and a SourceForge employee.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Question about Apache-Extras

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 8:15 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 22/12/2013 Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> OFBiz is concerned as well. We have several components there and we
>> would like to know if a replacement solution has been planned?
>> https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/
>> search?q=label%3aOFBiz
>>

> Another round of Board reports, so I'm asking if there is any update too.
> The original post http://s.apache.org/hzJ stated January 15 as a
> deadline. So, any news on the following two questions?
>
> 1) Does the Google Code change affect Apache Extras?
>

> 2) Are there plans to make the lost functionality available in some other
> ways?
>
> Infra clearly stated that this is "a ComDev issue".
>
> Thanks,
>   Andrea.

Waiting on Google contacts for the answer, for members, you can follow the
discussion at

https://mail-search.apache.org/members/private-arch/community-private/201401.mbox/%3cCAGU5spfLL5+_mmdfH71CUbO9LARac1zE_VJquzfWkX60DG92ag@mail.gmail.com%3e

--
Luciano Resende
http://people.apache.org/~lresende

Re: Question about Apache-Extras

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi,

OFBiz is concerned as well. We have several components there and we would like to know if a replacement solution has been planned?

https://code.google.com/a/apache-extras.org/hosting/search?q=label%3aOFBiz

Thanks

Jacques

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 3:58 PM luckbr1975@gmail.com wrote
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>wrote:

>>> Thanks. As stated in last July's OpenOffice Board Report:
>>>   ---
>>> OpenOffice, like the ASF as a whole, is hit by the announced policy
>>> change of Apache Extras. The project currently stores several libraries
>>> there, in an area known as ooo-extras, and the build process downloads
>>> them when options like --enable-category-b are used. A solution should
>>> be found at the ASF level.
>>>   ---
>>>
>>> So basically I have the same questions as Roger:
>>> 1) does the Google Code change affect Apache Extras (I was assuming it
>>> does)?

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.