Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Liu Yubao <yu...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/08 03:45:09 UTC

What's the best practice to track local modifications?

Our administrator doesn't allow us to create private branches
on public repos, and I want to track my local modifications,
so I can roll back to old state. I wouldn't like to create
patches regularly because it's difficult to manage many patches.

I can use another VC tool(CVS + TortoiseCVS ?), but it's not
convenient to use two VC tool at the same time.

I can create a private SVN repos, but I wouldn't like to have
two working copies because this means I need four times disk space
to store my source tree.

It seems a distributed VC tool fits me, but
1) I don't find a mature and user friendly (eg, with GUI) free
distributed VC tool for windows,
2) I wouldn't like to use two VC tools at the same time, almost
each VC tool introduces a new methodology:-)

Then, what's the best practice to track local modifications?

Re: What's the best practice to track local modifications?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 8, 2006, at 09:46, Liu Yubao wrote:
> Any suggestion to track local modifications with Subversion
> and TortoiseSVN ?

Why is your admin preventing you from using private branches, which
would seem to be the solution to your problem?

Re: What's the best practice to track local modifications?

Posted by Liu Yubao <yu...@gmail.com>.
Yes, SVK is a great tool, thanks for your advice, but
pity there isn't TortoiseSVK :-(

I introduced Subversion and TortoiseSVN to my company,
my colleagues are all very happy with these new tools,
but I am afraid they wouldn't like a CLI tool like SVK.

Posted by Adrian Howard <ad...@quietstars.com>.

Posted by Konrad Rosenbaum <ko...@silmor.de>.
On Tuesday 08 August 2006 05:45, Liu Yubao wrote:
> Our administrator doesn't allow us to create private branches
> on public repos, and I want to track my local modifications,
> so I can roll back to old state. I wouldn't like to create
> patches regularly because it's difficult to manage many patches.

You may want to have a look at SVK - it builds a distributed VCS on top of
SVN.

	Konrad