Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2007/10/12 12:06:34 UTC

Re: move ClamAVPlugin into the core distro?

Theo Van Dinter writes:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 01:07:19AM +0200, Mark Martinec wrote:
> > As long as users set their expectations right and understand this
> > is not a replacement for a more dependable virus checking ...
>
> Honestly I'm -0.5 on this.  SA isn't a virus scanner, and while it could
> definitely be used in such a way, I don't want people to get confused.  I
> also, frankly, don't want to be responsible for supporting the plugin since
> it's not really core to what we do.

Just as well it's 15 lines of code, then ;)   it's just a shim to
File::Scan::ClamAV, basically.

> Also, there are other, likely better, ways of doing virus scanning than
> using the plugin -- people using amavis or mailscanner are probably far
> outnumbering those who use the plugin, for example.

If you use amavis or mailscanner, that would certainly provide a better
way to do it.  However, if you don't use them, and instead use procmail
and spamc/spamd (as I do), this plugin is the most efficient way to call
clamav on inbound mail.  (as far as I can tell)

--j.

Re: move ClamAVPlugin into the core distro?

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
Justin Mason wrote:

> If you use amavis or mailscanner, that would certainly provide a better
> way to do it.  However, if you don't use them, and instead use procmail
> and spamc/spamd (as I do), this plugin is the most efficient way to call
> clamav on inbound mail.  (as far as I can tell)

Then you must not be using clamassassin, no seriously go check it out.

I'm with others, I'm not sure I want to see this in the core.  We made
plugins easy to install for a reason.  Its great that it get a lot of
use but I think its the wrong thing to include in the core.

Michael