Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/09 14:53:57 UTC

integration tests

Hi all,

Maybe its just me, but currently the Sling (main) integration tests run
extremely unstable. Most of the time I only have one failure. But 1 out
of 4 runs, I have a random (but rather high) number of test failures.

I run "mvn -o clean install"  in the launchpad/testing folder after a
full reactor build.

The single test that constantly fails is
ContentLoaderMiscPropertyTest.testLoaded. This expects a node, which I
cannot find where it is created.

Do you observe the same ?

Thanks and Regards
Felix

Re: integration tests

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Maybe its just me, but currently the Sling (main) integration tests run
> extremely unstable. Most of the time I only have one failure. But 1 out
> of 4 runs, I have a random (but rather high) number of test failures....

I haven't done much full builds recently, but that's usually a sign of
testing asynchronous things without caring about their async nature.

-Bertrand

Re: integration tests

Posted by Pontus Amberg <po...@milso.se>.
I was using Maven 3.0-beta-3 before and I had 3 different test failures
in a row today. After reading that you had better success with 2.2.1 I
downgraded to 2.2.1 and I have now built the current trunk 3 times with
no failures.

I have no idea if the 3 successful builds was just pure luck but I will
probably continue with 2.2.1 for a while.

/Pontus

Re: PermGen space problems Re: integration tests

Posted by Torgeir Veimo <to...@pobox.com>.
On 14 September 2010 18:56, Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de> wrote:
> I am aware from another project that PermGen space problems can be
> really nasty...
>
> As a wild guess this might help:
>
> How to deal with “java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space” error
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/88235/how-to-deal-with-java-lang-outofmemoryerror-permgen-space-error

Jackrabbit leaves some timer threads running that prevents a webapp to
be fully GC'ed after shutdown. So even the fixes suggested in that
stackoverflow page aren't sufficient.

--
-Tor

PermGen space problems Re: integration tests

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
I am aware from another project that PermGen space problems can be
really nasty...

As a wild guess this might help:

How to deal with “java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space” error
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/88235/how-to-deal-with-java-lang-outofmemoryerror-permgen-space-error

Cheers,
Andreas
---

Re: integration tests

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

It turns out, that my seemingly random failures might be related to Perm
Gen issues: After increasing the Perm Gen space (actually doubling it to
512M) the full built ran through smoothly.

Will try to find hints on why there are failures...

Regards
Felix

Re: integration tests

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: integration tests

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/10 2:18 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 9/9/10 2:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>>> ... IIRC mvn clean -> delete sling folder is configured  (didn't check
>>> right now) but maybe doesn't work for full reactor build?
>>>
>> mvn clean will delete [root]/launchpad/testing/sling. It will NOT delete
>> [root]/sling. When you run a full reactor build, sling.home is set to
>> [root]/sling....
>
> Ah, that's the difference then, thanks for clarifying. I agree that
> $root/sling should be deleted by mvn clean.
>
> -Bertrand

It should, but that's probably not enough because you can do something like:

mvn clean install -rf launchpad/testing

and sling.home will be set to [root]/sling, yet the root clean won't be run.

Argh....

Re: integration tests

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: integration tests

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/10 2:04 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...$ mvn clean install
>> $ mvn clean install
>>
>> consistently fails. This should be reasonably simple to resolve by
>> adding an execution of the clean plugin to the root pom...
>
> IIRC mvn clean -> delete sling folder is configured  (didn't check
> right now) but maybe doesn't work for full reactor build?
>
> -Bertrand

mvn clean will delete [root]/launchpad/testing/sling. It will NOT delete
[root]/sling. When you run a full reactor build, sling.home is set to
[root]/sling.

Justin

Re: integration tests

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: integration tests

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
On 9/9/10 2:21 PM, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 09.09.2010 19:56, Justin Edelson wrote:
>> My full-reactor build failure problem is back and it seems to be related
>> to the state of the sling directory in the root of the source tree.
>>
>> $ rm -rf sling
>> $ mvn clean install
>>
>> consistently works
>
> Ok, I generally also remove the "root" sling folder.
>
> But then: can we do something about the launchpad/testing bundle to not
> use the reactor root as the base for sling.home ? IIRC we once had this.

In SLING-845, Bertrand added an ant tasks which deletes [root]/sling.
Not sure why that's not doing the trick.

Justin

Re: integration tests

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: integration tests

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.

Re: integration tests

Posted by Pontus Amberg <po...@comhem.se>.
I'm also running Linux with Java 6 and I also encounter random test
failures. The tests that I think fails most frequently for me is

testCanAddUser(org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.userManager.PrivilegesInfoTest)
testCanAddGroup(org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.userManager.PrivilegesInfoTest)
testCanUpdateUserProperties(org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.userManager.PrivilegesInfoTest)
testCanUpdateGroupProperties(org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.userManager.PrivilegesInfoTest)
testCanRemoveUser(org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.userManager.PrivilegesInfoTest)
testCanRemoveGroup(org.apache.sling.launchpad.webapp.integrationtest.userManager.PrivilegesInfoTest)

/Pontus

Re: integration tests

Posted by Felix Meschberger <fm...@gmail.com>.
Hi,