Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Kefeder <mi...@weird-birds.org> on 2002/11/25 12:40:09 UTC

mod_deflate pitfall

Hi

Today i got a strange error from the svn client when i tried to commit:

OPTIONS of /htd/sysprog1a: Compressed stream invalid

Strange because commiting worked until today, so i tried to find the source
of this error. The message seems to come from the neon lib, and is
content-compression related. When i totally disabled mod_deflate in apache
commiting worked again.
Then I spotted the problem - the docs of apache2 suggest the following
directives for content-compression:

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
    SetEnv gzip-only-text/html 1
    SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    DeflateFilterNote ratio
</IfModule>

Where "SetEnv gzip-only-text/html 1" is the bad boy. When this is set svn
expects gzipped data but doesn't get it, because only text/html is
compressed (needed for buggy browsers).
To keep this setting for my webpages i set the following for the svn
subdomain

SetEnv gzip-only-text/html 0
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE

and with that setting the svn client works again.
Is my obversation/fix correct? I'm not 100% sure because commiting worked
until today w/o changing the config since the svn setup. If yes, i think it
would help others if that note would make it to the svn installation docs.
Yours
 Mike

Re: mod_deflate pitfall

Posted by Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>.
On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:40:09PM +0100, Michael Kefeder wrote:
> Hi
>
> Today i got a strange error from the svn client when i tried to commit:
>
> OPTIONS of /htd/sysprog1a: Compressed stream invalid

This implies the server is sending a "Content-Encoding: gzip" response
header when the response is not actually compressed, which I'd expect
would be a server bug regardless of configuration - worth filing a bug
at http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/

Regards,

joe