Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/03/01 01:27:04 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Proposal for Roller@Apache (prepared by Dave Johnson - Feb 28, 2005)

	We the committers and friends of the open source Roller Weblogger
project propose that the project become part of the Apache Software
Foundation. The rest of this document explains the rationale behind
this proposal, how Roller meets the Apache project scope, initial
source, resources required, and initial committer criteria.

0 Rationale

	Roller is an open source blog server written in Java and originally
developed in 2002 for an O'Reilly article titled Building an Open
Source J2EE Weblogger. Now Roller is used on multi-user blog servers at
the Javalobby's JRoller.com (> 7000 blogs), Sun's blogs.sun.com (>1000
blogs), and numerous other sites. Roller is an open source product,
available under an Apache-based license, with 5 committers.
	Recently Sun hired the original author of Roller to develop Roller and
other blog technologies. Sun and the Roller developers want to ensure
Roller's continued success as a viable, growing, open source product.
We think that perhaps the best way to do this is to become an Apache
project.

1 Criteria

	As a successful grass-roots open source project, developed by
free-time freelancers, Roller should have no problem satisfying the
Apache project criteria. Let's look at how Roller stacks up in terms of
meritocracy, community, core developers, and alignment with Apache.

1.1 Meritocracy

	New committers join the Roller project only after they have
demonstrated their work by participating in the mailing lists,
reporting bugs, suggesting fixes, and submitting patches. The project
does not have formal voting rules but we do confer before new members
are added.

1.2 Community

	The Roller project itself is only made up of 5 committers, but the
community also includes thousands of users using the Roller blogging
software. The developer community is centered around the Roller
developer mailing list and supported by Roller project blog and wiki at
http://rollerweblogger.org.  There are currently 135 subscribers to the
Roller user mailing list, 98 to the development list, and 15 to the CVS
list.

1.3 Core developers

	Roller was developed by freelance developers working in their free
time. The founding developer of Roller now works on Roller full-time
for Sun Microsystems, but the other core developers still work on
Roller as free-lancers. The core developers are all bloggers who use
the Roller software.

1.4 Alignment

	Roller is aligned well with Apache in terms of technologies and
licensing. Roller fits in well technologically with other Apache
projects, which also focuses on web, XML, and Java technologies. In
fact, the Roller source code depends on a number of Apache projects
including Ant, Struts, Velocity, Jakarta Commons, Jakarta Taglibs,
Lucene, and Log4J.
	Roller's license is essentially the Apache 1.0 license with the words
Apache Software Foundation replaced by the words Dave Johnson. Roller
team members do not object to changing the license to Apache 2.0
license.

2 Scope of the project

	The scope of the Roller project would be the development of Roller
blog server software including adding new features and improving
maintainability, extensibility, performance, and scalability.
	One possible way to put the project into scope is to create a
top-level project for blog and newsfeed related technologies (e.g.
"blogtools.apache.org"). Roller  would be the first project under this
umbrella, but eventually there could be projects for (or pointers to)
newsfeed parsers (such as Kevin Burton's Feed Parser), blog client
tools, and other blog server tools.

3 Initial source

	Initial source for the project would come from the existing open
source Roller project, which is currently under Apache 1.0 like
license.
	The initial source depends on several third-party open source
components that are licensed under the LGPL. The Roller team
understands these dependencies will have to be reconciled with the
Apache's licensing policies. The LGPL components used by Roller are:
- Hibernate, a Java class library used for persisting Java objects in a
database via O/R mapping
- Jazzy, a Java class library that provides spell checking capabilities
(written by a former Roller contributor)
- JSPWiki - a Java class library used by a Roller plugin that supports
Wiki syntax

4 Resources

Resources required by the Roller project:
- Source code control repository such as CVS or SVN
- Separate mailing lists for users, developers, and source code checkins
- Project home page

Roller already has a project blog and wiki at
http://rollerweblogger.org and a JIRA based issue tracking system at
http://opensource.atlassian.com/jira.

5 initial committers

The initial committers for Roller would be the current committers for
Roller:
- Anil Gangolli (independent)
- David Johnson (Sun)
- Henri Yandell (independent, also VP of Apache Jakarta)
- Lance Lavandowska (independent)
- Matt Raible (Raible Designs)

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Dave Johnson wrote:

> So, I've seen some +1 votes even though no vote was announced.
>
> What are the next steps?

Mostly the next steps fall on the mentor (me) and infrastructure.  See:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Incubation+Activities%0D

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Exit+Requirements

- Sam Ruby

RE: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
I think we can consider this vote to have passed.  Sam's on the rest.

	--- Noel

So, I've seen some +1 votes even though no vote was announced.

What are the next steps?

- Dave

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: Roller@Apache

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
david,

see here -http://www.apache.org/licenses/

-- dims

Re: Roller@Apache

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: Roller@Apache

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.
I believe we have sent in all CLAs and the software grant for Roller.
Are we ready to turn on mailing lists and do the SVN import?

- Dave

RE: Roller@Apache

RE: Roller@Apache

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Sam,
> If you're to be the mentor, please start the status file and resource
> request.  And let's get the CLA and Software Grant process going.

I setup the project root in SVN, so that's ready.  No mailing lists, yet.
Roy was working on some mailing related repairs tonight.

	--- Noel

Roller@Apache

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Sam,

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2005, at 7:25 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
>
>> Dave Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> Proposal for Roller@Apache (prepared by Dave Johnson - Feb 28, 2005)
>>>     We the committers and friends of the open source Roller Weblogger
>>> project propose that the project become part of the Apache Software
>>> Foundation. The rest of this document explains the rationale behind
>>> this proposal, how Roller meets the Apache project scope, initial
>>> source, resources required, and initial committer criteria.
>>
>> All incubator projects need a champion.  I worked with the submitters
>> offlist prior to the submission, and plan to mentor this project
>> through incubation.
>>
>> It is my recommendation that the incubator PMC itself be the sponsor.
>
> +1 (please note, however, that we are currently short on
>     infrastructure volunteers and it may take some time to set up)

Ping?

- Sam Ruby

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@gbiv.com>.
On Feb 28, 2005, at 7:25 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Dave Johnson wrote:
>> Proposal for Roller@Apache (prepared by Dave Johnson - Feb 28, 2005)
>>     We the committers and friends of the open source Roller Weblogger
>> project propose that the project become part of the Apache Software
>> Foundation. The rest of this document explains the rationale behind
>> this proposal, how Roller meets the Apache project scope, initial
>> source, resources required, and initial committer criteria.
>
> All incubator projects need a champion.  I worked with the submitters
> offlist prior to the submission, and plan to mentor this project
> through incubation.
>
> It is my recommendation that the incubator PMC itself be the sponsor.

+1 (please note, however, that we are currently short on
     infrastructure volunteers and it may take some time to set up)

....Roy

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Roller@Apache