Posted to dev@wicket.apache.org by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com> on 2008/04/12 15:28:11 UTC

[vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

This is a vote to update our servlet API dependency to 2.5 (since we
require Java 5, there is little use to stay with 2.3 iiuc)

[ ] servletapi 2.5 ftw!
[ ] servletapi 2.4 ftw!
[ ] servletapi 2.3 ftw!

Martijn

Apache Wicket 1.3.2 is released
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.2

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Advanced Technology® <th...@gmail.com>.
[X] servletapi 2.4 ftw!

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.
[x] servlet api 2.5

But if there are compelling reasons to use 2.4 or even stick to 2.3
that is fine too.

Maurice

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.
does this matter somehow?
i dont care. We dont need the new features i guess but are there api changes
(binary)
that would make wicket not run anymore on tomcat 5?
then i would say use 2.4

johan

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
[X] servletapi 2.4 ftw!

Although the getContextPath() method added to servlet api 2.5 might be really nice to use, just for that reason (nice)
only and not because we really need it for a critical feature implementation, is in my view not good enough.
It would force tomcat 5.5 users to upgrade to tomcat 6, or likewise others still stuck on a servlet api 2.4 container.
If we do need this information at runtime, it is always possible to define it as context parameter in web.xml.

Just to give an example: although the getContextPath() method for portlet containers *really* is an important feature,
the JSR-286 Expert Group decided that for the Portlet API 2.0 (on the verge of being released) this would pose a too
great consequence so JSR-286 still only requires servlet api 2.4.
(Actually, even requiring Java 5 for JSR-286 was already seen by some members as a "risky" step)

So, for now I'm -1 on jumping to servlet api 2.5 unless there is a really compelling reason.

Ate

Posted by Juergen Donnerstag <ju...@gmail.com>.
[X] servletapi 2.5

Juergen

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
[X] servletapi 2.5 ftw!

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
 [ ] servletapi 2.5 ftw!
 [ x ] servletapi 2.4 ftw!
 [ ] servletapi 2.3 ftw!

Eelco

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Eduardo Ito <zi...@summa-tech.com>.
>  [X] servletapi 2.4 ftw!

I would like to use Wicket with WebSphere! It uses Java 5 but is J2EE
1.4 compatible.
(Tomcat 5.5 also uses Servlet 2.4)

I think you should be a little conservative with this, you would rule
out a lot of people if you change to Servlet 2.5.

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 10:28 AM, Martijn Dashorst
<ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is a vote to update our servlet API dependency to 2.5 (since we
>  require Java 5, there is little use to stay with 2.3 iiuc)
>
>  [ ] servletapi 2.5 ftw!
>  [ ] servletapi 2.4 ftw!
>  [ ] servletapi 2.3 ftw!
>
>  Martijn
>
>  --
>  Buy Wicket in Action: http://manning.com/dashorst
>  Apache Wicket 1.3.2 is released
>  Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.3.2

--
Eduardo Issao Ito
Summa Technologies

"The structure of a system tends to mirror the structure of the group
producing it."
[Mel Conway - April, 1968 Datamation]

AW: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.
[x] servletapi 2.4 ftw!

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Maurice Marrink <ma...@gmail.com>.
>  Besides: What would be the benefit in wicket of having the context path
> outside the scope of a request?
You could use it to retrieve / initialize a resource per running application.
For instance with swarm i recommend using the context path as a key to
initialize the policy files (in application.init), this is not a
requirement but just something that makes the most sense.

However like i said, if the consensus is to use 2.4 (and it looks like
that is the case) i have no problems with that.

Maurice

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Peter Ertl <pe...@gmx.net>.
You wouldn't believe how many developers are still bound to old or
lame versions of webcontainers and struggle with their managers for an
upgrade.

I mandate for not upgrading the servlet api requirements unless there
are really compelling reasons (nice to have is not enough).

Besides: What would be the benefit in wicket of having the context
path outside the scope of a request?

You can still use servlet api 2.5 and wicket together without making
it a hard requirement.

Alternatively if you _really_ need 2.5 somewhere in the code you could
use some reflection based code to check for existence of servlet api
2.5 methods before invoking them and otherwise degrade gracefully.

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: [Discuss ]update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Is there a use case for Wicket *core* that requires an upgrade to
servlet-api 2.5?

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.
Tomcat 5.5 (!)

// Paolo

Posted by Bruno Borges <br...@gmail.com>.
[x] 2.5

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [X] servletapi 2.4
>
> Seems a good reason to move to 2.4, but I'd prefer to not jump to 2.5
> while there are so many environments that don't support it.
>
> /Gwyn
>
> On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:
> > Gerolf Seitz wrote:
> >
> > > i'd say either go for the "bleeding edge" (2.5) or stay at 2.3, since
> > > 2.4 doesn't seem to provide features we urgently need.
> > >
> >  For portlets 2.4 is required actually and nowadays most web containers
> do
> > support 2.4.
> >
> >  Ate
> >

> > >  Gerolf

--
Bruno Borges
blog.brunoborges.com.br
+55 1185657739

"The glory of great men should always be
measured by the means they have used to
acquire it."
- Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Re: [vote] update servlet-api dependency to 2.5

Posted by Gwyn Evans <gw...@gmail.com>.
[X] servletapi 2.4

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Posted by Gerolf Seitz <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paolo Di Tommaso <pa...@gmail.com>.
 [X] servletapi 2.4 ftw!

Note: first version of tomcat having Java 5 as prerequisite is Tomcat 5.5
that implements Servlet API 2.4

Regards.

// Paolo