Posted to jetspeed-dev@portals.apache.org by Randy Watler <rw...@finali.com> on 2004/12/09 02:02:18 UTC

J2 M1 Binary Install Notes

A few notes on the M1 install process for Tomcat 4/5 and Linux:

- The Tomcat conf directory accessed by the autodeployer for Tomcat 5
may not be not available as a relative path based on the webapps
directory, (i.e. Linux JPackage RPMs). To work around this, I modified
webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/conf/jetspeed.properties before starting tomcat
and overrode this property:

autodeployment.catalina.base=/usr/share/tomcat5/

In addition, untarring the binary release does not properly install
jetspeed.xml when installed from /var/lib/tomcat5. Do not untar the
release from /usr/share/tomcat5 since tar does not always follow
symbolic links. I untarred in /var/lib/tomcat5 and copied the conf
directory components to /usr/share/tomcat5/conf,
(conf/Catalina/localhost/jetspeed.xml). BTW, the override.properties
file does not seem to override jetspeed.properties for these settings, (?).

- In production, we use a different port and credentials to access the
Tomcat admin manager application, (see tomcat-users.xml). Again, before
starting tomcat, override these properties in
webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/conf/jetspeed.properties:

autodeployment.port=9999
autodeployment.user=myadmin
autodeployment.password=myadmin

- By default, the M1 binary release is configured for Tomcat 5. To use
Tomcat 4 and ensure that the security.xml context file is properly
deployed, one will also have to override this property before starting
tomcat in webapps/jetspeed/WEB-INF/conf/jetspeed.properties:

autodeployment.catalina.version.major=4

- Finally, Tomcat 5 users can remove the webapps/jetspeed.xml file since
it is here only for Tomcat 4 compatibility. The same goes for the
conf/Catalina directory for Tomcat 4 users since this is a Tomcat5 artifact.

Randy

Re: J2 M1 Binary Install Notes

Posted by Randy Watler <rw...@finali.com>.
David,

Of course. I was just documenting for our own consumption here on the
dev list... especially given the ongoing work on the installer.

Randy

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.