Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2014/07/30 01:45:20 UTC

TourDeFlex

Hi,

The TourDeFlex3 component explorer is just about in a state where it can be released. I'd appreciate if people took a look at it.

Outstanding issue I can see:
- decide on a version number
- add some Apache Flex branding
- making a script to package it all up into a release format
- add a README
- There's one example that not playing sound. Anyone suggest an open source sound file we can use to replace what was called jazz.mp3?

All of the examples in the component explorer are mx based, but once we release it, that would be a good opportunity for people to contribute spark based components or even perhaps localised versions of it.

The mobile application is another story. I wasn't able to get to compile it seems to be missing a large number of assets - any reason why there were not donated? We're not talking logos or the like but button skins and other stuff along those lines. Anyone want to help out with this?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 7/31/14 10:08 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >> It looks like there is plenty of Flex 4 stuff in the
> >> tourdeflex_content.com folder.
> >Where is this folder? I don't see it at:
> >https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/develop/TourDeFlex
> Hah!  No wonder you guys think the donation is half-baked.  Turns out that
> folder was blocked by .gitignore and was never checked in.  The files Om
> was looking for are not in this folder either, but you will see lots of
> samples show up in a few minutes.

Whoa!  That is a lot of stuff that just popped up under the
TourDeFlex_content folder.  Thanks for figuring this out.

Om

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/31/14 10:08 PM, "Justin Mclean" <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>> It looks like there is plenty of Flex 4 stuff in the
>> tourdeflex_content.com folder.
>Where is this folder? I don't see it at:
>https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/develop/TourDeFlex
Hah!  No wonder you guys think the donation is half-baked.  Turns out that
folder was blocked by .gitignore and was never checked in.  The files Om
was looking for are not in this folder either, but you will see lots of
samples show up in a few minutes.

-Alex

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> It looks like there is plenty of Flex 4 stuff in the
> tourdeflex_content.com folder.
Where is this folder? I don't see it at:
https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/develop/TourDeFlex

> What do you mean by the "component explorer is MX-based" and why is that a
> problem?  Checkintest is MX-based as well but runs the Spark components.
It's not a problem but I think people would expect spark based samples as well.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Can you explain in more detail what is broken/missing in the TDF4 version?
 I thought the XML files just listed which components had "entries" in
TDF.  It would need to be fixed up anyway since some content was created
by third-parties and not donated.

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I guess that is it then.  It would make sense for us to spend our
> energies
> > on creating something from scratch than hunting this down.
>
> We did have someone donate a TourDeFlex like application some time back,
> perhaps it worth revisiting that? From memory it was a good start and only
> neede minor work to turn it into a release.

Yes, it was the mobile version:
https://github.com/apache/flex-examples/tree/develop/tourdeflexmobile

> And I think the component explorer is also still useful despite being only
> MX based - given it will be easy for people to contribute samples.

Yes, I think we can start a web version first and then use the same code
with an AIR app.  I will be able to contribute to this after I wrap up my
current Android skins work and some FlexJS work.

Thanks,
Om

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 7/30/14 4:55 PM, "OmPrakash Muppirala" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Also, it looks like the samples won't work without the contents under
>tourdeflex.adobe.com
>Particularly, these resources:
>
>http://tourdeflex.adobe.com/download/objects-desktop2-update.xml
>http://tourdeflex.adobe.com/ping.html
>http://tourdeflex.adobe.com/download/update4.xml
>
>Alex, any chance you could get that code donated as well?
Doubtful.  I'm not sure anybody knows where that is.  What would be in
those files that we can't re-create?

There's a whole folder of stuff under TourDeFlex_content.com.  Those three
files aren't in there, but is that folder most of what was on
tourdeflex.adobe.com?  I see Flex 4 components in there.

-Alex

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I still don't see it.  Can you send me the github link for the folder?
>
> https://github.com/apache/flex-utilities/tree/develop/TourDeFlex/TourDeFlex

That contains only the desktop AIR components.  I don't see any mobile
components in them?
Also, there are no Flex 4 components that are seen in the desktop app that
can be downloaded from here:
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex.html

Thanks,
Om

The component explorer is:

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: TourDeFlex

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
I was able to run build.bat and everything built fine.  Thanks Justin, for
beating this into shape.

Running the Apache Flex 4 Component Explorer web app, everything runs fine
without errors.  But it looks like they are all only Flex 3 components.  I
don't see layouts, skins, etc.  I remember seeing a version of that in the
past.