Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Johannes Artur Bertscheit <Jo...@t-online.de> on 2001/12/03 02:36:33 UTC

WIN32-apache 1.3.x (windows NT) problem of serving concurrent https requests

Hi all,

Does anyone know something about the following
WIN32-apache-modssl and/or WIN32-apache problem as described below?

In short:
It seems that any WIN32-apache (I tried) has this problem:
They cannot display pages (I need mainly https:// but also tried
http://) with many images in a RELIABLE  manner.

That means if you SHIFT-RELOAD the page several times
(10x, 20x, 50x.), the apache process crashes once in a while and is
restarted after some time.
In this time the server is not accessable and images remain empty or the
page itself says "unable to load page"
I had this effekt on the following apache servers:
- WIN32-apache-mod_ssl 1.3.6
- WIN32-apache-mod_ssl 1.3.9
- WIN32-apache-mod_ssl 1.3.20
- WIN32-apache-mod_ssl 1.3.22
- IBM http server 1.3.19 - based on apache 1.3.20 (without mod_ssl - but
with own IBM-ssl-128)
I also tried cygwin-based apaches:
- cygwin apache 1.3.6 mod_ssl
- cygwin camp 1.3.20 mod_ssl
The cygwin-based show NOT this effect - but have other problems
(sporadic hangs of the cygwin-apache and/or cygwin-system) which do not
allow to use them.
The only RELIABLE SSL-web server on windows-nt I found yet is
"tinyssl" (also based on openssl) - it is solid as a rock - but it has
not the functionality I need (ProxyPass, RewriteRule, mod_jserv...).

The problem is closely associated with concurrent requests
(to load the images) to the server.
So it is a bug in the thread/process- sychronisation of WIN32-apache
versions and I think in the core-apache,
because apache crashes occur also if you redirect the image loading to
another SSL-server (with ProxyPass) and
also if you use http:// instead of http://..

I need to get a RELIABLE apache-based mod-ssl web server for windows NT
but havent found such a thing yet...

Do you know a RELIABLE (no hangs!, no crashes!) running
WIN32-apache-mod-
ssl installation anywhere?
Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks in advance

Johannes

Here is a posting to mod_ssl which describes the crashes of WIN32-apache
1.3.20 in more detail:

  Subject:
        WIN32-apache 1.3.20 (windows NT) problem of serving concurrent
https requests
   Date:
        Wed, 21 Nov 2001 02:20:58 +0100
         From:
        Johann.Bertscheit@t-online.de (Johannes Artur Bertscheit)
    To:
        modssl-users@modssl.org
    CC:
        jbertscheit@web.de

  Hi all,

  I use
  Apache_1.3.20-Mod_SSL_2.8.4-OpenSSL_0.9.6a-WIN32.zip
  from your contribution area
  (

http://www.modssl.org/contrib/Apache_1.3.20-Mod_SSL_2.8.4-OpenSSL_0.9.6a-
WIN32.zip

  )

  when serving SSL pages under this WIN32-apache 1.3.20 under windows NT
  e.g: html page with 20 images
  or html-frame with 1 image
  and I SHIFT-RELOAD these pages several times
  (with IE5.5 or netscape4.78 dont matters)
  (it depends on timing conditions if the crash will occur -
  so several tries - up to 10- may be neccessary)
  then I get the following Dr.Watson crashes:

   FAULT ->6ffa1522 8b5104           mov     edx,[ecx+0x4]
  ds:00dfea06=????????

   FAULT ->10007587 8b0491           mov     eax,[ecx+edx*4]
  ds:00000017=????????

  because if Apache.exe's are restarted automatically,
  the server continues to server after some delay and maybe
  anoher SHIFT-RELOAD may show all images/frames.

  I think its a problem of serving concurrent https requests
  (several images / several frames).
  Are there known problems in this area???
  How can the problem be fixed?
  I tried almost all configuration settings
(e.g. SSLSessionCache on/off, nokeepalive on/off...)
with no effect.

  Thanks in advance!

  Johannes

Re: WIN32-apache 1.3.x (windows NT) problem of serving concurrent https requests

Posted by amol <am...@yahoo.com>.
i have just recently moved to apache from IIS ( and to tomcat from some
other engine )
i am on WinNT and facing similar crashes.
apache and tomcat, both are working fine independently. but after the
mod_webapp connection, apache has started crashing very often and mostly,
when i try reloading a page. also, while its crashing, it just stops working
for a few seconds and then crashes.
i am not using SSL.
using tomcat4.0.1, apache 1.3.22 on WinNt4, service pack 6

any inputs, comments, suggestions?

thnx
amol