Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/06/20 18:31:54 UTC

Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Hi PMCs & Everyone,

There are a number of significant, complex and overlapping efforts
underway to improve the Hadoop security model.  Many involved are
struggling to form this into a cohesive whole across the numerous Jiras
and within the traffic of common-dev.  There has been a suggestion made
that having two additional pieces of infrastructure might help.

1) Establish a security-dev mailing list similar to hdfs-dev, yarn-dev,
mapreduce-dev, etc. that would help us have more focused interaction on
non-vulnerability security topics.  I understand that this might
"devalue" common-dev somewhat but the benefits might outweigh that.

2) Establish a corner of the wiki were cross cutting security design
could be worked out more collaboratively than a doc rev upload
mechanism.  I fear if we don't have this we will end up collaborating
outside Apache infrastructure which seems inappropriate.  I understand
the risk of losing context in the individual Jiras but again my sense is
that the cohesiveness provided will outweigh the risk.

I'm open to and interested in other suggestions for how others have
solved these types of cross cutting collaboration challenges.

Thanks.
Kevin.

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Yes, sorry for not explicitly stating it in my previous reply - this should
> be a community built from representatives across the entire ecosystem.
> My previous email was speaking to how we reach out to them.

Do you see any role Apache Bigtop can play in this initiative. I'm a huge
+1 on the idea, just want to see we can put it to use right away by
actually integrating into a community-driven distro.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.

--
Alejandro

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Hey Aaron and others -

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Aaron T. Myers <at...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I'm in favor of this in general, though I do think the proper way to do it
> isn't obvious to me, given the cross-project nature of the goal.

There will be a security "design lounge" from 2pm to 4pm on Wednesday at
the Hadoop Summit. Please consider stopping by, I think everyone on this
thread will be there.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)J

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Aaron T. Myers <at...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Sorry, what exactly do you mean by "meetup" ?

A like minded group meeting together to discuss and solve common
cross-cutting issues, here: security. Or call it a virtual
birds-of-a-feather?

Note, however, that certainly not all of what are generally considered the
> "Hadoop  ecosystem" projects build their security using only what's in
> Hadoop Common, e.g. Hive makes extensive use of Thrift and Thrift's SASL
> implementation.

Sure. It's an ecosystem wide effort centered around Hadoop Common. We can
produce something more likely to be taken up by projects like Hive if we
include them and their considerations at the outset. If we have a common
public security list, we can go evangelize it to projects like Hive and
hopefully we can get active participation from someone in their community.
Likewise with Pig, HBase, Avro, ZooKeeper, Flume, Sqoop, and so on.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Alejandro Abdelnur <tucu@cloudera.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Is this restricted to the Hadoop project itself or the intention is to
> > cover the whole Hadoop ecosystem? If the later, how are you planning to
> > engage and sync up with the different projects?
> >

> The intent is to cover the entire Hadoop ecosystem. How specifically to
> structure the work and engage different projects would depend on what facet
> of security is being addressed. I think it would be awesome if the Hadoop
> PMC is willing to lend resources for an ongoing virtual meetup on security
> concerns (a meetup ecosystem wide) that cross-cut everywhere, and that
> makes sense, at least to me, because in many cases we could build from the
> core outward and propose uptake of artifacts that solve a common problem on
> project specific JIRAs.

Sorry, what exactly do you mean by "meetup" ?

I think in general it makes sense for this effort to be hosted by the
Hadoop project proper, given that much of the security of the rest of the
system is built on top of the libraries in Hadoop Common. Note, however,
that certainly not all of what are generally considered the "Hadoop
ecosystem" projects build their security using only what's in Hadoop
Common, e.g. Hive makes extensive use of Thrift and Thrift's SASL
implementation.

--
Aaron T. Myers
Software Engineer, Cloudera

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Huge +1

Posted by "Aaron T. Myers" <at...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>wrote:

> I think that we could let the security vulnerability list know about it for
> one thing.

Small clarification - note that "security@hadoop.a.o" is ostensibly only
for Hadoop project security vulnerabilities - it's not really intended to
be for discussion broader than just the Hadoop project proper.

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.
That's a good question....

I think that we could let the security vulnerability list know about it for
one thing.
There should be representatives of many - if not all - of the projects in
the ecosystem.

I suppose we could file a Jira for each to have someone represent their
security concerns to the larger security community?

Any suggestions or thoughts on those ideas would be great.

Posted by Alejandro Abdelnur <tu...@cloudera.com>.
This sounds great,

--
Alejandro

Re: Fostering a Hadoop security dev community

Posted by Larry McCay <lm...@hortonworks.com>.