Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Liermann <mi...@imbongi.co.za> on 2011/02/11 12:56:57 UTC

Issue with Apache 2.2.3, Tomcat 6.0.29, and Flex

Hello all,

we have a testing server up that is running CentOS 5.4 32 bit, Java
version 1.6.0_20, Apache 2.2.3 and Tomcat 6.0.29. Apache is set up to
run two name-based vhosts, which I'll call system.domain.tld and
test.domain.tld for short. For the test.domain.tld vhost, Apache serves
a static HTML page that contains a link to a compiled Flex application
(.swf file). This Flex app implements a login box and connects to Tomcat
on the same server to authenticate users and provide functionality to
the app. For system.domain.tld, Apache uses mod_jk and JKMount to make
available a Java web app (systemapi) that is used by the Flex app to
authenticate.

When I call test.domain.tld via a web browser, Apache logs the request
and serves the SWF file. The SWF displays a login box; when I enter data
here and hit the login button...nothing happens. The Tomcat log file
catalina.out is set to maximum verbosity, and it logs no activity
whatsoever.

When I use the IP address for test.domain.tld instead of the FQDN, then
I can log on, Tomcat generates copious entries in catalina.out, and all
works as intended.

I don't think it's my Apache vhost config, since all the parts of the
process that Apache is responsible for function properly in both cases.
I've added Alias directives for both name-based vhosts in the Host
section of Tomcat's server.xml, with no change.

Any ideas? This has me baffled.

Regards
MSL

Re: Issue with Apache 2.2.3, Tomcat 6.0.29, and Flex

Posted by Michael Liermann <mi...@imbongi.co.za>.
Hi Martin,

Martin Kuen wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> did you verify that your flex app is sending something when you hit the
> login button? (e.g. using wireshark)

I have not done that as yet, but will give that a try. Thing is, it
behaves as intended when called by IP, so I can't see it not sending
anything when the page it's embedded in is called by DNS name instead.
> As you referring to a "compiled flex application", I am somewhat tempted to
> assume that you didn't write it on your own (?)

Our inhouse coders developed it. I had no hand in writing it. It is a
compiled app that uses a text config file in /etc to specify the address
of the backend Tomcat server.
> --> Do you have a flash *debug* player installed? Otherwise, you won't see
> any errors, which are thrown by the flash app (and not handled).

No, but I'll give that a try, too. Thanks for the suggestions - will
report back my results.

Cheers
MSL

Posted by Michael Liermann <mi...@imbongi.co.za>.
Martin Kuen wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> did you verify that your flex app is sending something when you hit the
> login button? (e.g. using wireshark)

I have now done this testing, and it generates zero traffic on ports 80
or 8080 when I call the page via FQDN and hit login. When I call the
page by IP and attempt login, network traffic happens.
> As you referring to a "compiled flex application", I am somewhat tempted to
> assume that you didn't write it on your own (?)

I've asked the devs to go over their code again;  maybe that is where
the error lives.

Thanks

Posted by Martin Kuen <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 11/02/2011 11:56, Michael Liermann wrote:
> Any ideas? This has me baffled.

Enable access logging on httpd and Tomcat. Include the full request line
and the host header. Run your test. Review the logs.

Mark