Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> on 2010/10/01 02:43:06 UTC

Re: ZK compatability

Looking forward, I don't think that anybody has even proposed anything that
would require a major release yet.

That should mean that you have quite a bit of lifetime ahead on the 3.x
family.  Moreover, it is a cinch to bet that
even when a 4.0 is released, it is unlikely to have enough killer features
to drive wholesale adoption right away.

That means that there will be a 3.x bug-fix branch for quite a while even
after 4.x versions come out.

ZK has the least operations overhead of any software I have ever deployed in
to a system.  The worst problem is
that you have to document procedures because you don't have to touch ZK
often enough to remember them
accurately.