Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Arved Sandstrom <Ar...@chebucto.ns.ca> on 2001/04/02 12:02:35 UTC

Re: RFC: Tentative Ideas for Improvements [Long]

At 02:13 PM 3/31/01 +1000, Peter B. West wrote:
>I would like to make a few general observations on this discussion,
>which are still unencumbered by any knowledge of the code, although I am
>slowly, in spite of many interruptions, becoming more familiar with the
>spec.  I am still struggling to get a handle on all of this.

Hi Peter

You may or may not follow the XML Apache general mailing list. If not, you
won't be aware that a charter proposal is being debated, and it will almost
certainly mandate the following from each project (among other things):

1) set of requirements;
2) design document(s)

Now, we have both of those. And both, particularly the design docs, are
obsolete.

I've noticed your spec study over the past months, and I consider that a
valuable resource to this project. I am sure others do also. You might call
it struggling, but considering the rather arcane portions of the spec that
you're looking at, I'd say that you're developing some useful knowledge that
I'd hate to lose. Point being, we will almost certainly be doing up new
formal designs over the next 1-2 months, and your input and assistance is
encouraged. Contributors don't have to stick to code, after all.

If you have some architectural/high-level design ideas, and would like to
help us in sketching out high-level design, please feel free. Pseudocode,
any type of notation (it doesn't have to be just UML), and insightful
commentary such as you've provided so far - all welcome.

I'm not normally this effusive, but I'm trying to flatter you to the point
where you write the design doc and we can then rubberstamp it... :-) Just
kidding. Anyhow, all assistance welcome.

Regards,
Arved Sandstrom

P.S. All that aside, I did read your last commentary in detail, and although
I don't have the time to make any major observations at the moment, I agree
with your general comments.

Note that every area does have a trait that ought to be used to associate it
to the FO that generated it. "generated-by", I think it's called, off the
top of my pointy head.

In reference to my "transactions" concept and "committal"; Yes, actual
committal might never happen, per se. It could well be more of a concept
than a concrete act, as Karen also suggested. In terms of keeping track of
start points, absolutely - we do that to a point now, with "marker" in
FONode, and that's what the current getMarkerSnapshot() and rollback()
methods in FONode are all about, also. I agree that in general we would be
keeping track of more data of this kind.

Fairly Senior Software Type
e-plicity (http://www.e-plicity.com)