Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Stephane James Vaucher <va...@cirano.qc.ca> on 2004/04/20 18:08:25 UTC

Using Runtime.exec to extract text [Was: Bridge with OO]

In case you don't know. Using Runtime.exec() on windows, you need to
consume the output streams of the application will block. This is not the
case on linux.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-12-2000/jw-1229-traps.html

In short:
Because some native platforms only provide limited buffer size for
standard input and output streams, failure to promptly write the input
stream or read the output stream of the subprocess may cause the
subprocess to block, and even deadlock.

HTH,
sv