Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rob Hartill <ro...@imdb.com> on 1996/10/27 02:18:29 UTC

bad timing with r->request_time

I'm creating pages on the fly that are cached, but the cache files are
often created a second or two after the request is received.

In "read_request", Apache records the time at the beginning of the request,
then later in "set_last_modified" it uses that time to override the
correct "Last-Modified" timestamp with:

ts = gm_timestr_822(r->pool, (mtime > r->request_time) ? r->request_time : m
time);

This is a nuicance since I now have to refetch the entire cached document
because the "Last-Modified" Apache gives me is wrong. The logic is
there to prevent futuristic "Last-Modified" dates from being sent, but
anything created as a result of the request is deemed to be in the
future. Doh!.

I would suggest that "set_last_modified" be allowed to grab the time again
so that this problem goes away while still preventing futuristic datestamps
being sent to clients.

rob