Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Etienne Baert <et...@advalvas.be> on 2003/10/01 15:50:52 UTC

Spacing modifiers

Hi,

Is it possible to use spacing modifier characters with FOP ?
I would like to have such a character in my pdf document:
- a greek sigma letter with 2 as superscript, n as subscript and a bar
on top of the letter.
and I would it inline with the surrounded text.

How can I achieve this ?

Many thanks,
Etienne Baert

PS: I am using fop 0.20.5.

Re: Spacing modifiers

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Etienne Baert wrote:
> Is it possible to use spacing modifier characters with FOP ?
> I would like to have such a character in my pdf document:
> - a greek sigma letter with 2 as superscript, n as subscript and a bar
> on top of the letter.
> and I would it inline with the surrounded text.

I somehow get the feeling you want to have combining modifiers
rather than a "spacing modifier".
Your options:
- search the Unicode code charts for the combining bar on top
- find a font which has a glyph for it
- generate the font metrics and check that the width for the
  combining char is zero
- hope that your favorite PDF viewer (or whatever you use)
  correctly handles this combining char

I can't quite interpret what your super/subscripts have to do
with "spacing modifiers". You can use vertical-align="super"
respective "sub" to get superscripts and subscripts.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Spacing modifiers

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
Etienne Baert wrote:
> Is it possible to use spacing modifier characters with FOP ?
> I would like to have such a character in my pdf document:
> - a greek sigma letter with 2 as superscript, n as subscript and a bar
> on top of the letter.
> and I would it inline with the surrounded text.
>
> How can I achieve this ?

According to the XSL-FO spec, this should be possible with "baseline-shift":

http://www.w3.org/TR/xsl/slice7.html#area-alignment

The above link shows how it should be formatted in your XSL-FO markup.
Unfortunately, the FOP Compliance page shows that this property has not
been implemented:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/compliance.html#fo-property-baseline-shift

Just the same, you might want to try it and see if it works. If this
doesn't work for you, try using SVG or creating a graphic of the text,
and referencing that.

Good luck!

Web Maestro Clay