Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Edward Muller <em...@fastly.com.INVALID> on 2022/01/25 01:38:33 UTC

Repartition Stateful Kafka Streams App

I am looking for documentation covering the process and/or gotchas of
repartitioning (increasing the number of partitions) of an input topic used
in a stateful (using the Processor API) Kafka Streams app.

I haven't found a concise document saying what the process & gotchas are,
but ....

AFAICT I'm going to need to follow one of the following paths:

1) Create a new topic with the partition setup I want and restart the app
with a new application name & input topic; drain the original input topic
into the new topic and delete the old state topic(s);

2) Change the number of partitions and the partition assignments of the
original topic and then use the streams reset application to reset the
kafka streams state.

Am I missing anything?