Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/29 19:30:05 UTC

Where are the OSGi EEG specs?

Hello all,

I wanted to take a look at the specs developed by the EEG - but I can
only find the regular OSGi draft 4.3 specs on the Aries wiki.

Are they available for view anywhere?

Thanks,

Jay

Re: Where are the OSGi EEG specs?

Posted by Alan Keane <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay,
The following links have some details about the 3 levels of membership.
http://www.osgi.org/About/Join
<http://www.osgi.org/About/Join>http://www.osgi.org/About/Benefits

There is no fee to become a supporter.
This will give you access to the requirements committee meetings and early
access to final specification releases, but not to the mailing lists as far
as I know.

Regards,
<http://www.osgi.org/About/Benefits>Alan

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hey Adam,

Posted by adam wojtuniak <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just reading it:
>  http://www.osgi.org/wiki/uploads/About/Full_Member_agreement_2007.pdf
>
> it seems to me, but IANAL and far from being, that the IP is granted
> to the OSGi Alliance when working *for* the OSGi Alliance.
> My understanding is that it's mostly about RFP / RFC / RI / TCK development.
> AFAIK, Felix have some RI for the ConfigAdmin, so either this issue
> has been dealt with or has been missed somehow ...

Well, Felix is not "working for" the Alliance, and if ASF would be a
Member the section you are referring to would be of section 1 "Member
Developed IP" instead of section 2 "OSGi Developed IP". IANAL either,
but I read it as "if we develop something and contribute to OSGi
Alliance, we own it, but must provide a license to...", which ALv2
already does by default. So, that is probably not the issues.

Confidentiality is a potential issue, and perhaps in combination with
the TCK (OSGi Confidential)... But then again, isn't many JSRs on
similar terms?

Well, perhaps BJ, Dan Bandera and Kriens could hook up with some
official, long-term ASFers and see what the issue really is...

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Where are the OSGi EEG specs?

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
Just reading it:

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:43, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 9:43 PM, Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the main issue here is whether the ASF can comply with the T&Cs of
>> being a full OSGi Alliance member, specifically the T&Cs around the IP
>> policies.  While in theory, the OSGi Alliance might consider a fee waiver, I
>> don't expect them to make T&C exceptions for anyone, ASF included.
>
> You could be right. It was quite a long time ago I read the "new"
> membership agreement, put in place early 2008 I think it was.
>
> But, AFAIR, the main 'issue' that I saw myself, at that time when my
> company was a member, was not in the membership agreement, but the
> Statement Of Work (I think it was called), which after signed allowed
> you to contribute to an expert group. The SoW regulated a lot of the
> IP rights, which may or may not be incompatible with Apache views.
> Should dig up the membership agreement and have a look, I guess...
>
> Cheers
> --
> Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
>
> I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
> I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
------------------------
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/
------------------------
Open Source SOA
http://fusesource.com

Re: Where are the OSGi EEG specs?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 5:15 PM, David Bosschaert
> <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Jay,
>>
>> Lin is right that all of the specs coming out of the EEG will ultimately end
>> up in the OSGi Compendium, however there will be an additional OSGi 4.2
>> Enterprise Specification which has a focus on the enterprise domain and will
>> contain a number of Enterprise-focused specifications. This Enterprise Spec
>> will be available earlier than the next full compendium. The intention is to
>> have it ready by Q1 2010 - the EEG is currently working on this.
>>

> Perhaps David could poke around the OSGi Alliance and see if Apache
> Software Foundation could become a "special member" (i.e. no yearly
> fee) since we are now becoming heavily vested in OSGi technology? I
> imagine this being structured similar to our JCP and W3C membership,
> where individuals can get access to restricted information via a
> system of NDAs. Compare with JEE TCK access for Geronimo committers.
>

> Cheers

I think the main issue here is whether the ASF can comply with the T&Cs
of being a full OSGi Alliance member, specifically the T&Cs around the
IP policies.  While in theory, the OSGi Alliance might consider a fee
waiver, I don't expect them to make T&C exceptions for anyone, ASF included.

Bill

Re: Where are the OSGi EEG specs?

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
I actually asked BJ Hargrave, CTO of the OSGi Alliance, this question very
recently and the response what that this had been discussed in the past with
Richard Hall, but it ran into issues.

That doesn't mean that this discussion can't be picked up again. I will
engage in a new conversation with the Alliance about this subject.

Best regards,

David

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
+1, that would be awesome !