Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com> on 2011/01/06 18:47:29 UTC

Proposal Status, Initial Committors List, Contributors List

All,

Thanks for all the recent activity in the mailing lists. I'm really
eager to get this project moving forward and the discussions going on
now are exactly what we need to do that.

Calling attention back to the Incubator proposal, the outstanding
needs for completing that proposal are:
- Build Initial Committers list
- Ensure that Committers have all submitted a CLA
- Ensure that the proposal is inline with community interest

The current draft of the proposal is located at:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Lucene.Net%20Proposal

For each of those goals:

Build Initial Committers List

I have updated the proposal to reflect the current state of the
Initial Committers list. The list, at present is (alphabetical):

- Chris Currens
- DIGY
- Michael Herndon
- Prescott Nasser
- Scott Lombard
- Sergey Mirvoda
- Troy Howard

The only other person who has been discussed as a Committer, but
hasn't stated formally that they are interested in that role is Heath
Aldrich  (there was some discussion, but no resolution). So, Heath, if
you'd like to be on the Initial Committers list, please send a quick
message indicating your interest.

Additionally, the following people have come forward as willing
Contributors (alphabetical):

 - Alex Thompson
 - Ben Martz
 - Frank Yu
 - Glyn Darkin
 - Peter Mateja
 - Shashi Kant
 - Simone Chiaretta
 - Wyatt Barnett

Ensure that Committers Have All Submitted a CLA

For those of you on the Initial Committers list, we will need to
submit CLAs for each developer before being granted commit access.
Currently the only person on that list who has submitted a CLA is
DIGY. I'll be sending mine in today, and I encourage the rest of you
to do so by the end of the week.

Information about the CLA, and how to submit is located here:

http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

Ensure That the Proposal Is Inline With Community Interest

So far, I have not heard any feedback from the community about the
text of the Incubator Proposal. Please review the current draft, and
if you have any reservations about the contents or language, feel that
anything is missing or should be omitted, please post to the mailing
list expressing your concerns or ideas.

I will be submitting the proposal on Tuesday, January 11th, so please
review it and discuss prior to that. I want to make sure that everyone
who is effected by our proposal has had the opportunity to review it,
and either determine that they completely agree with it or give them
the opportunity to discuss their opinions openly prior to submission.

Again, the current draft of the proposal is located at:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/Lucene.Net%20Proposal

And, even though I sign most of my emails 'Thanks', I'd like to take a
second and express my sincere appreciation for the community we have
around this project and the effort and investments that have been
given and will continue to be given in the future by our contributors.
The project could not survive without it.

Thanks,
Troy

RE: Proposal Status, Initial Committors List, Contributors List

Posted by "Lombard, Scott" <sl...@KINGINDUSTRIES.COM>.
Troy,

The proposal looks very good.  Thank you for all your hard work.  I only have one comment in your Initial Goals section.  Given the stated completed before Feb 2011 timeframe I fee we may want to be more clear on the bullet "Create a well documented repeatable and fully automated language porting process" by changing the text to something like "Agree upon a method for creating a well documented repeatable and fully automated language porting process" to better describe the community discussion that will happen as part of this process.

Thanks,
Scott

[...]

it from your computer.  Thank you, King Industries, Inc.

Re: Proposal Status, Initial Committors List, Contributors List

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good. I'll finalize this tonight and get it submitted.

Missing personal info can be updated post-submission. It's not a big deal.

I apologize for being relatively quiet on other mailing list
issues/project work last week. Day job as been *absurdly* busy.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Prescott Nasser <ge...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.

Posted by srikalyan swayampakula <sr...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Everyone,

Posted by Digy <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Troy,

It is very good.

DIGY

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.
For a description of the Affliliations section from the Guide to
Proposal Creation, see:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html#template-affiliations

Essentially, this covers any non-ASF affiliations which may impact
your work as a committer. For example, if you work for a company, who
is paying you specifically to work on Lucene.Net, that affiliation
should be detailed. The risk is that the company may have interests
which could run into conflict with ASF, or if they are providing paid
development they may choose to stop providing that, causing a
committer to no longer be active or interested.

Because these situations present significant risk, it's best to detail
them upfront. I filled out information for my company because Chris
and I will both work on Lucene.Net as part of our on-the-clock work. I
don't foresee this as being an issue, but none-the-less, it's
appropriate to be fully transparent about this affiliation.

Thanks,
Troy

Posted by Michael Herndon <mh...@o19s.com>.

Posted by Troy Howard <th...@gmail.com>.