Posted to dev@skywalking.apache.org by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/24 03:42:34 UTC

Agent library dependency is being restricted due to JDK 6 compatible

Hi All

This is just an inform mail.
Right now, and from the project beginning, SkyWalking java agent is supporting from JDK 1.6.
But since this year(2019), a lot of libraries have abandoned the JDK 1.6 supported, and moved to JDK 1.7.

At all available releases, gRPC-java is not JDK 1.6 supported in latest release.
Now, in PR[Set up the bootstrap instrumentation plugin framework], because of same reason, I have to choose old release(not too old), and as I am just using it to do simple class copy, it should be OK in the long time.

But, we should notice, JDK 1.6 supported is beginning facing challenges, I hope we could begin to collect the information, how many JDK 1.6 supported requirements still there.
We should be safe in 2019 and 2020 at least for JDK 1.6 supports, as bootstrap class instrumentation should mostly the last piece of SkyWalking agent core.

[1] https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/3152 <https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/3152>
Sheng Wu
Apache Skywalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

Re: Agent library dependency is being restricted due to JDK 6 compatible

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.
In this potential PR, https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/3199/commits/cb5304e0b764a565d64ce53b0321a9765dabcfab <https://github.com/apache/skywalking/pull/3199/commits/cb5304e0b764a565d64ce53b0321a9765dabcfab>
I removed agent disruptor dependency.

Because, Disruptor can’t support JDK 1.6 - 12 well in agent mode.
I am not saying Disruptor has issues, but it is not designed in compatible way,
In our latest release, we have following document, due to Unsafe package renamed.
> ince Java 9, JDK introduced a new level of abstraction above packages, formally known as the Java Platform Module System (JPMS), or “Modules” for short.
> When you are using this JDK feature, add --add-modules jdk.unsupported to the JVM argument,
> if your application hasn't require jdk.unsupported, such as log output showing Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: sun.misc.Unsafe.

ByteBuddy support a new better way, so w/ disruptor removed, we don’t need this step anymore.

ByteBuddy has not released yet, we are going to wait for its release.

Posted by Sheng Wu <wu...@gmail.com>.