Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Andy Van Den Heuvel <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/05 13:47:31 UTC

Looking for a Champion

I'm looking for a Champion to help me setup a proposal.
The project is a pluggable all-round job scheduling application.

Can somebody help me?

Thanks for your consideration.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Would this batch application be an implementation of the Java Batch API
(from Java EE 7)?

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
I usually point to the script & jenkins config SCM for that task.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 8:53 AM, Andy Van Den Heuvel
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jenkins is used to build software projects. It's a continuous integration
> server.
> Tashlin will be more generic, used to build any set of tasks. Also business
> processes are possible.
>
> Example: Let's say I want a job to do a HTTP GET call every 5 minutes and
> show the results.
> In Jenkins, I'll probably create a free-style project, but it asks me for a
> SCM which makes no sense for this scenario.
> I think a lot of people today hack around the fact that Jenkins is a
> continuous integration server, because it is easy to use and to setup
> scheduling tasks.

Hi Andy,

It's more something like Control-M right [1] you're looking to build ?

Not wanting to curb your enthousiasm in any way, but would it not be
easier to piggyback the huge amount of framework code Jenkins already
has in place and just extend it with a new project type + a plugin ?
You'll be getting a lot of things for free that are tricky to get
right (think slave and remoting), not to mention the platform's
popularity and community.

Kind Regards,
Jorg Heymans

[1] http://www.bmc.com/products/control-m-workload-automation/job-scheduling-software.html

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
There is no requirement in Jenkins to extend AbstractProject if you don't
need a SCM. For example we have a number of proprietary plugins that extend
from different points in the Jenkins object tree, e.g. TopLevelItem, Job,
etc depending on how much code reuse is required.

I am not knocking your proposal, but just pointing out that the
"limitations" in focus that you see with Jenkins are, from my perspective,
just limitations in imagination/knowledge as to where in the Jenkins object
tree to extend from.

I think KK sees Jenkins as a generic task scheduler with a set of default
tasks centred around CI, certainly he has felt that way since I first had
IRC chats with him in 2007-8, so it's not a "new" thing from my perspective.

OTOH if you already have a good code base or even a good itch that you feel
needs scratching and this is the best way for you to scratch that itch, go
for it...

>From my perspective, if I felt that selecting SCM = None was too ugly for
me, I'd just knock up a Jenkins plugin that extends earlier in the object
tree (mind you I have written about 3-4 such plugins by now, so I know the
tricks)... the advantage with that tack is you get to leverage a large user
base... the disadvantage is you have to deal with jelly and stapler and
KK's lack of gröking how Maven works (which results in some Maven
anti-patterns in Jenkins and the Jenkins tooling... but he is getting
better ;-) )

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Andy Van Den Heuvel <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Andy Van Den Heuvel <an...@gmail.com>.
This discussion has taugh me a lot.
I understand that the current idea may not be suited for a proposal yet and
I have some extra investigation to do.

Please feel free to contact me, if you are interested to work on this
togheter.
Thank you all for your professional insight and feedback.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>.
So what makes it different from jenkins?

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Bart van der Schans <sc...@apache.org>.
Hi Andy,

How would Tashlin be different from rundeck [1] ?

Regards,
Bart

[1] http://rundeck.org/

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Andy Van Den Heuvel <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Looking for a Champion

Posted by Mohammad Nour El-Din <no...@gmail.com>.
@Ate Yes I noticed but not enough information here in the thread to make
anyone think to help or not and I would suggest for Andy just to prepare an
abstract and brief description and share it here to see if someone is
interested rather than keep coming and going with question just to know
what the project is about rather than discussing whom will help and how

@Andy: Would you please paste (or link) here an abstract and a brief
description what the project is about ? I would say have a look at [1] make
a similar one fill it in with as much as you can share that here to see if
someone is interested to be a Champion and take it from there

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/StratosProposal

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu> wrote:

> On 06/05/2013 04:12 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din wrote:
>
>> +1 @Marcel
>>
>> Any links for the draft proposal so people can assess if they can help or
>> not ?
>>

> He is asking for help (Champion) to create such a draft :)
>

>> On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 4:07 PM, Marcel Offermans <
>> marcel.offermans@luminis.nl> wrote:
>>
>>  I would never search for a generic job scheduling application in the
>>> Wicket project. I still don't know exactly what this new project is
>>> about,
>>> but the fact that it happens to use Wicket in itself is not enough to
>>> make
>>> it a Wicket subproject if you ask me.
>>>
>>> Greetings, Marcel
>>>
>>> On Jun 5, 2013, at 16:01 PM, Alexei Fedotov <al...@gmail.com>