Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2005/11/15 20:51:34 UTC

Re: apple mail better than SA?

Posted by Vivek Khera <vi...@khera.org>.
On Nov 15, 2005, at 2:51 PM, Justin Mason wrote:

> You may need to do some hand-classification if Apple's classifier
> makes
> mistakes, of course.  No point training SpamAssassin with incorrect
> data.

The main problem with Apple's Mail.app is that you can't tell it NOT
to learn from some folders, such as my spamassin users list folder,
or my spam-l folder.  It learns it all, which makes for difficult
filtering of real spam as opposed to discussion about spam.

I had to turn it off.

Re: apple mail better than SA?

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 11:51:34AM -0800, Justin Mason wrote:
> Pretty similar, alright.  It's another probabilistic classifier, like our
> BAYES_* rules.  It uses a fancier algorithm (LSA), but research hasn't
> really proven if that helps in real-world use; some reviews have said our
> results are better, some say Apple's are. All I know is that SpamAssassin
> requires no upfront hand-training ;)

It also depends on use I'd say.  A previous mail was saying that the
MUA was catching everything that SA let through.  So the MUA gets to
focus on only catching a certain class of mails.  If it had to try
catching everything, it may not function so well.  (my apple mail still
misses a bunch of spam that also misses SA, and I generally haven't
been impressed.)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Winnie the Pooh is the balls."          - Matt