Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Adam Retter <ad...@googlemail.com> on 2010/02/12 17:06:35 UTC

How to Create password protected Excel spreadsheet

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to create a password protected
Excel Spreadsheet from POI?

If it is not possible, how much work would be required to implement
the missing functionality and how complex is this envisaged to be?

Thanks Adam

--
Adam Retter

skype :adam.retter
http://www.adamretter.org.uk

Re: How to Create password protected Excel spreadsheet

Posted by MSB <ma...@tiscali.co.uk>.
Adam, enableLocking() has got nothing to do with password protecting a file.
As you probably know, with the introduction of the xml based file format it
was possible to exercise much finer control over the protection that could
be applied to elements of the worksheet. Thus it was possible to, for
example, prevent the user from changing the style applied to a cell. The
enableLocking() method is a part of this process and is not involved with
password protection.

If you search back through the list, I am fairly certain that this issue has
been addressed, at least in part, by David Fisher who is very much involved
with the development of the API.

Yours

Mark B

Posted by Adam Retter <ad...@googlemail.com>.