Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io> on 2020/04/01 22:20:05 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Replace UDP messaging for membership with TCP

> When we move from a reliable UDP implementation to one based on TCP, we
> need to think about how to provide reliability on top of TCP.  If you dig
> into TCP, you’ll find that it tries really hard (sometimes up to 15
> minutes!!) but doesn’t guarantee message delivery.  Does this matter in
> practice?  Yes it does--I’ve worked on geode issues where a faulty network
> cable eventually caused a cluster hang because of a dropped TCP packet.

+1. Yes, we are proposing that the new messenger needs to be able to
recreate the TCP connection and resend any unacked messages.

-Dan

Re: [DISCUSS] Replace UDP messaging for membership with TCP

Posted by Dan Smith <ds...@pivotal.io>.
It looks like we have consensus to move forward with this proposal. Thanks
all for your comments! I've moved it into "In Development"

Thanks,
-Dan

Posted by Aaron Lindsey <aa...@apache.org>.