Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Philip Cote <co...@adelphia.net> on 2005/05/14 14:38:52 UTC

Setting up the Admin Tool

I'm having a hard time getting the admin tool up and running on Tomcat
5.5.7 on Fedora Core Linux.  When I try to link to it from the localhost
root page, I get a messge telling me I need to install the "admin"
package.  Very well.  I go off to download the admin tool and use file
roller to unzip the thing.  Now I have a file
"jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7-admin.tar-1" sitting in {CATALINA_HOME}/webapps
directory.  Any ideas?

Re: Setting up the Admin Tool

Posted by Lutz Zetzsche <Lu...@sea-rescue.de>.
Hi Philip,

Am Samstag, 14. Mai 2005 14:38 schrieb Philip Cote:
> I'm having a hard time getting the admin tool up and running on
> Tomcat 5.5.7 on Fedora Core Linux.  When I try to link to it from the
> localhost root page, I get a messge telling me I need to install the
> "admin" package.  Very well.  I go off to download the admin tool and
> use file roller to unzip the thing.  Now I have a file
> "jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7-admin.tar-1" sitting in {CATALINA_HOME}/webapps
> directory.  Any ideas?

As far as I remember, it works this way:

1. Download jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7-admin.tar to any directory where you
would like to keep it, i.e. /tmp/.

2. Change to the $CATALINA_HOME directory:
     cd $CATALINA_HOME

3. Untar the file from there, i.e. /tmp/:
     tar xvfz /tmp/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.7-admin.tar

4. Open $CATALINA_HOME/conf/tomcat-users.xml;
     add there the role "admin";
     assign this role to an existing user.

5. Restart Tomcat.

6. Go to the Admin login page and log-in with the user from 4.

That's it.

Best wishes

Lutz