Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com> on 2009/02/12 16:08:18 UTC

Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

hi, below is my tomcat config

Tomcat VersionJVM VersionJVM VendorOS NameOS VersionOS ArchitectureApache
Tomcat/6.0.181.6.0-b105Sun Microsystems Inc.Linux2.6.23.12i386

Essentially what happens is this:

The server is running along fine, and then all of a sudden, for no apparent
reason that we can find, the server shuts down. The timing does not seem to
coincide with any stack trace.

Just Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly.

please help

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Juha Laiho <Ju...@iki.fi>.
Adlane ACHAB wrote:
> hi, below is my tomcat config
>
> Tomcat VersionJVM VersionJVM VendorOS NameOS VersionOS ArchitectureApache
> Tomcat/6.0.181.6.0-b105Sun Microsystems Inc.Linux2.6.23.12i386
>

> Essentially what happens is this:
>
> The server is running along fine, and then all of a sudden, for no apparent
> reason that we can find, the server shuts down. The timing does not seem to
> coincide with any stack trace.
>
> Just Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly.

I did see something like this, quite some time ago. Details differ a lot;
the env was Tomcat 4.something, running on Solaris. However the symptoms
did match: the Tomcat process just disappeared.

What did help in our case was to wrap the startup in another layer of scripts
which did redirect all the standard file descriptors to/from specified files
(or /dev/null in case of standard input), and additionally start tomcat under
"nohup" (protected from session hangup signal).

What we suppose did happen:
- admin started the tomcat (on a shell session)
- the shell session was forgotten open, and the corresponding TCP
  connection later timed out at firewall
- at some point some piece of code attempted to write to System.out
  or System.err, or read from System.in
- this activity caused the machine TCP layer to notice that the TCP
  connection was not valid any longer, and so the shell from which
  Tomcat was started (and the Tomcat process, too) did get a hangup
  signal, causing both the shell and Tomcat to just stop and exit

We could never positively prove the above, but that would suit the symptoms,
and also the above would be something for which our cure would be effective.
--
..Juha

RE: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com>.
> From: Adlane ACHAB [mailto:adlane.achab@gmail.com]
> Tomcat VersionJVM VersionJVM VendorOS NameOS VersionOS
> ArchitectureApache
> Tomcat/6.0.181.6.0-b105Sun Microsystems Inc.Linux2.6.23.12i386
>

> Essentially what happens is this:
>
> The server is running along fine, and then all of a sudden,
> for no apparent
> reason that we can find, the server shuts down. The timing
> does not seem to
> coincide with any stack trace.
>
> Just Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly.

http://linux-mm.org/OOM_Killer ?  The JVM is often the largest user of memory on the system, and hence the first victim when the killer has to run.

Note the line in there "Finally the accumulated score is bitshifted by the user-settable value of /proc/<pid>/oomadj" - if it *is* the OOM killer, you can at least cause it not to kill Tomcat but to choose some other victim :-).

                - Peter

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.
I don't think that's a memory problem

[image: daily graph]

2009/2/12 Caldarale, Charles R <Ch...@unisys.com>

> > From: Adlane ACHAB [mailto:adlane.achab@gmail.com]
> > Subject: Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down
> >
> > no, idon't find any exception on logs
>
> There won't be any messages in the Tomcat logs, since the kernel just
> terminates the entire selected process without warning when the OOM killer
> fires up.
>
>  - Chuck

> attachments from all computers.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Adlane ACHAB
Tél : 06 13 46 66 21
adlane.achab@gmail.com

RE: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.

2009/2/12 Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>

> Adlane ACHAB wrote:
> > hi, below is my tomcat config
> >
> > Tomcat VersionJVM VersionJVM VendorOS NameOS VersionOS ArchitectureApache
> > Tomcat/6.0.181.6.0-b105Sun Microsystems Inc.Linux2.6.23.12i386
> >

> > Essentially what happens is this:
> >
> > The server is running along fine, and then all of a sudden, for no
> apparent
> > reason that we can find, the server shuts down. The timing does not seem
> > coincide with any stack trace.
> >
> > Just Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly.
> >
> > please help
> >

> Linux OOM killer?
>
> Mark

= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Adlane ACHAB
Tél : 06 13 46 66 21
adlane.achab@gmail.com

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Gregor Schneider [mailto:rc46fi@googlemail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down
>
> @Chuck: never heard about the OOM-killer.

GIYF.  A nasty beast, at best.

> But what I almost can't believe is that if such a
> thing exists, that it doesn't carve it's footprints
> into syslog...

Likely, but since the OP used the term "exception", I expect he was referring to the Tomcat, not system, logs.

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Gregor Schneider wrote:

> @Chuck: never heard about the OOM-killer.

The Tomcat security team have been trying to find this guy for several
years now, but they're being very discreet about it.
One of the difficulties is that he cleans up after himself by wiping out
any memory of its intervention.
You have probably heard many times about him in the past, you just have
forgotten.  That's a sure sign.

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
What's Linux /var/log/syslog saying? Anything in there?

@Chuck: never heard about the OOM-killer. But what I almost can't
believe is that if such a thing exists, that it doesn't carve it's
footprints into syslog...

Puzzled...

Gregor
--
just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they're not after you...
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Tomcat unexpectedly shuts down

Posted by Pieter Temmerman <pt...@sadiel.es>.
Ok, then it's not an option.
I thought it shut down just after a short while.

I'm out of ideas...

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pieter Temmerman <pt...@sadiel.es>.

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.
but I think that we have enough memory,so the Linux OOM killer will not act.
will do?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.
no, nothing about shutdown in tomcat logs, it just abruptly stop

I will check for jar files

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Adlane ACHAB <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Adlane ACHAB wrote:
> hi, below is my tomcat config
>
> Tomcat VersionJVM VersionJVM VendorOS NameOS VersionOS ArchitectureApache
> Tomcat/6.0.181.6.0-b105Sun Microsystems Inc.Linux2.6.23.12i386
>

> Essentially what happens is this:
>
> The server is running along fine, and then all of a sudden, for no apparent
> reason that we can find, the server shuts down. The timing does not seem to
> coincide with any stack trace.
>
> Just Tomcat service terminated unexpectedly.
>
> please help

Linux OOM killer?

Mark