Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> on 2003/01/19 02:44:59 UTC

Another Release?

Hi,

A while back there was talk of release but I didn't see one go past. Would it
be possible to do another release ... even if it is just basically another
alpha source drop. That way we could point people at a download and upgrade
our new descriptors to use all the funky new Maven stuff ;)

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald
--------------------------------
 These aren't the droids you're
 looking for. Move along.
--------------------------------

Re: Another Release?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 04:46, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While all of these things are great things to do are you sure that all of them
> are needed for the next release? :) Could not some of them be delayed for
> another release (even if that other release is just two weeks later). The
> earlier you release it the more people will test and hopefully contribute ;)
> Or at least the more people will convert

I realize ... we can look at the list and try to narrow it down but I
feel that most of those are fundamental. Anyway Dion is going full tilt
and I'll be able to put some more time in tomorrow night. We also have
Matt Ho, who is the new release manager for Drools, helping with the
release plugin so between the three and all those who have been sending
in patches we should be able to clear things up soon.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: Another Release?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org>.
Hi,

While all of these things are great things to do are you sure that all of them
are needed for the next release? :) Could not some of them be delayed for
another release (even if that other release is just two weeks later). The
earlier you release it the more people will test and hopefully contribute ;)
Or at least the more people will convert

Anyways a guess at the must haves may be;
1) Reports incorrectly produced
2) Plugin post goals (like apt) not being processed
10) Verify that POM that inherit have the documentation generated
  correctly. I was taking the POM object and feeding it through betwixt so
  that the DVSL transformations occured with all the information intact.

WOuld it be possible to delay the non-required to a little bit later because
some of us are dying for a release here ;)

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 16:36, Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 23:42, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > we've just been splitting Jelly up and cleaning up issues with the
> > current refactored code before a release. AFAIK, there are only a few
> > show stoppers:
> >
> > 1) Reports incorrectly produced
> > 2) Plugin post goals (like apt) not being processed
> > 3) Failed downloads not stopping the build process
> > 4) Plugins referencing other plugins' properties need to be changed to
> > the new method.
> >
> > Any others?
>
> 5) Switch to classworlds
>
> 6) Release plugin
>
> 7) Release vs HEAD website (so the inconsistencies we have in our
> current situation can be alleviated.
>
> 8) Checksumming needs to be turned on (and everything along with this,
> including reliably generating checksums and using a consistent set of
> deploy methods to make sure the checksums stay valid).
>
> 9) Addition of POM entries to allow anonymous checkout
>
> 10) Verify that POM that inherit have the documentation generated
> correctly. I was taking the POM object and feeding it through betwixt so
> that the DVSL transformations occured with all the information intact.
>
> 11) Test the http auth mode for repositories. Code is there just haven't
> tried it.
>
> > --
> > dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> > Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
> > Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
> >
> > Peter Donald <pe...@realityforge.org> wrote on 19/01/2003 12:44:59 PM:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > A while back there was talk of release but I didn't see one go
> >
> > past.Would it
> >
> > > be possible to do another release ... even if it is just basically
> >
> > another
> >
> > > alpha source drop. That way we could point people at a download and
> >
> > upgrade
> >
> > > our new descriptors to use all the funky new Maven stuff ;)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Peter Donald
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:turbine-maven-dev-
> > > help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > >

> > > ForwardSourceID:NT000A5132
> >
> > --

Cheers,

Peter Donald
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." -- Maugham

Re: Another Release?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-01-19 at 07:37, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> Jason,
>
> as part of the switch to classworlds, will we get classloader isolation
> for the plugins & project being built from Maven?

Yes, definitely. The plugins are pretty much isolated now in terms of
the context that is used while executing the Jelly i.e. the plugin
properties aren't all jammed in the same name space. So I will attempt
to put in classworlds again. The last time I tried I went a bit far and
tried to use the uberjar method but JAR access is too slow still for
that. So I'm just going to do a flat replacement of Forehead with
Classworlds.

> i.e. Maven could use ant-1.5 and a plugin (or a project being built) could
> use ant-1.6.2, for example, with no clash?

Right, no clashes finally.

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
>

> Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> wrote on 19/01/2003 04:36:12 PM:
>
> > On Sat, 2003-01-18 at 23:42, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> > > Hi Peter,
> > >
> > > we've just been splitting Jelly up and cleaning up issues with the
> current
> > > refactored code before a release. AFAIK, there are only a few show
> > > stoppers:
> > >
> > > 1) Reports incorrectly produced
> > > 2) Plugin post goals (like apt) not being processed
> > > 3) Failed downloads not stopping the build process
> > > 4) Plugins referencing other plugins' properties need to be changed to
> the
> > > new method.
> > >
> > > Any others?
> >
> > 5) Switch to classworlds
> >
> > 6) Release plugin
> >
> > 7) Release vs HEAD website (so the inconsistencies we have in our
> > current situation can be alleviated.
> >
> > 8) Checksumming needs to be turned on (and everything along with this,
> > including reliably generating checksums and using a consistent set of
> > deploy methods to make sure the checksums stay valid).
> >
> > 9) Addition of POM entries to allow anonymous checkout
> >
> > 10) Verify that POM that inherit have the documentation generated
> > correctly. I was taking the POM object and feeding it through betwixt so
> > that the DVSL transformations occured with all the information intact.
> >
> > 11) Test the http auth mode for repositories. Code is there just haven't
> > tried it.
> >
> > > --
> > > dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> > > Blog:      http://www.freeroller.net/page/dion/Weblog
> > > Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

> > > past.Would it
> > > another
> > > upgrade

> > > --
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:turbine-maven-dev-
> > help@jakarta.apache.org>
> > --
> > jvz.
> >
> > Jason van Zyl
> > jason@zenplex.com
> > http://tambora.zenplex.org
> >
> > In short, man creates for himself a new religion of a rational
> > and technical order to justify his work and to be justified in it.
> >
> >   -- Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society
> >

> > --
> > For additional commands, e-mail: <mailto:turbine-maven-dev-
> > help@jakarta.apache.org>
> >

> > ForwardSourceID:NT000A520A

jvz.

Jason van Zyl