Posted to dev@ratis.apache.org by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org> on 2021/02/02 10:16:16 UTC

Ratis 2.0 release

Yesterday we had a long conversation about Ratis release during the
Ozone community  call [1]:

  1. We think that the easiest way to release is Ozone to release Ratis
master as Ratis 2.0 (full branch, without cherry-picking)

  2. All the new features can be turned off by default (like PRE_VOTE
and leader lease). Either by default on Ratis, or just by the Ozone.
(follow HDDS-4774)

  3. Compatibility will be tested by acceptance tests (thx to Attila we
will have a test to test current Ozone with older clients).

 From this point of view, Ozone needs 2.0 release from master.

runzhiwang: you are volunteered to be an RM for 1.1. Do you need a
stable 1.1 release, or you would do it for Ozone.

If it's for Ozone, can we do 2.0 instead?

(I am happy to help in any release which moves us closer to the Ozone
release).

Thanks,
Marton

[1]: in the first 30 mins

https://cloudera.zoom.us/rec/share/4S9Uf7etdbpwDWDWvnj3J0Af2TnZhbB7ruFavE4T0ucLKinclxa7x87dBZdYjgUE.HIacLrBnWPsnNmaZ

Passcode: $PS1wQ.N

Re: Ratis 2.0 release

Posted by "Elek, Marton" <el...@apache.org>.
+ 1 to publish stable, "snapshot"-like releases from the Ratis
frequently For example a monthly patch release from the latest stable
branch.

Nanda had similar suggestion during the community meeting (Ozone should
depend on properly released patch releases from Ratis instead of snapshots).

I just shared the archive of the community call on the Ozone dev list
which includes the discussion.

One additional argument was that Ratis 1.1 branch is not something which
is ready to use, but it requires more work (triage / cherry-pick) which
has additional risk compared to using the already-tested Ratis master
(with disabled new features.)

Marton

Re: Ratis 2.0 release

Posted by Attila Doroszlai <ad...@apache.org>.

Re: Ratis 2.0 release

Posted by Rui Wang <am...@apache.org>.
I didn't join the community call thus may not know enough context.

> It is odd that 2.0 is expected to be more stable than 1.1 when 2.0 should
be a superset of 1.1.
so I have the same question as Arpit.

-Rui

Re: Ratis 2.0 release