Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Jaya Ghosh <jg...@CoWare.com> on 2008/01/28 10:24:18 UTC

Tomcat query

Hello,

I have a query.

I have created an index of our online documentation files (htmls). Therefore
it is more like an intranet search, that is, the search will be performed on
static documents only. Now I need to test it. My machine does not have
Tomcat installed. The IT department has informed me that as a Tomcat user I
need to have root permissions and they need permission from the higher
authority to assign me the same.

My queries are:

1. If I succeed implementing Nutch in our tool will we have to ship
Tomcat/provide URL to the end-users?

2. Is there an alternative to above?

3. Am I right in assuming that in static documents the index is built only
once and that is what we would be shipping with the tool? Therefore, the end
user will not need any permissions as such to perform the search?

As mentioned earlier, I am a writer and hence not technical.

Thanks in advance for any help/response.

Regards,

Ms.Jaya

Re: Tomcat query

Posted by Vinci <vi...@polyu.edu.hk>.
Hi,

Here is the anwser for q1 and q3,

1. the tomcat is for the online search interface. If you won't include the
documentation in the release product, you don't need to include it in the
package, just setup the tomcat on the server where has the index file
located, modify the config file and deploy the war file in tomcat mnager.
Also, make sure the html file is here and everybody can read it by a url
started with http.

3. setup a tomcat server mentioned for everybody can enter the search page
and submit the query by their web browser, and find a correct places in the
shipped package to tell the user the url of online help :)