Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2002/10/03 16:35:18 UTC

RE: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?

Vincent Massol once wrote:

> I was curious to know who the other committers where, whether they shared
the same beliefs I have, etc.

This prompted me to wonder:

1/ are we..
a)male
b)female
c)decline to answer

2/are we
a) young
b) 20-30
c) 30-40
d) 40-50
d) old

3/about English
a)its my native language
b)its a second language, I live in an English speaking country
c)I'm fluent but I live in a non-English speaking country
d)other, tell me..

4/do we have
a)a full beard
b)a goatee
c)a moustache
d)noneoftheabove

5/wear sandals
a)never
b)sometimes
c)always

In the spirit of these things private mail will be kept private, and I'll
publish an anonymous and glossy breakdown of the stats.

d.

Re: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?

Posted by Jeff Prickett <pr...@shpimp.com>.
On Thursday 03 October 2002 07:35, Danny Angus wrote:
> Vincent Massol once wrote:
> > I was curious to know who the other committers where, whether they shared
>
> the same beliefs I have, etc.
>
> This prompted me to wonder:
>
> 1/ are we..
> a)male
> b)female
> c)decline to answer

Male

> 2/are we
> a) young
> b) 20-30
> c) 30-40
> d) 40-50
> d) old

30-40

> 3/about English
> a)its my native language
> b)its a second language, I live in an English speaking country
> c)I'm fluent but I live in a non-English speaking country
> d)other, tell me..

Native language English
Native Country: USA

> 4/do we have
> a)a full beard
> b)a goatee
> c)a moustache
> d)noneoftheabove

No facial hair

> 5/wear sandals
> a)never
> b)sometimes
> c)always

As often as possible

> In the spirit of these things private mail will be kept private, and I'll
> publish an anonymous and glossy breakdown of the stats.
>
> d.

Re: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
I was there for 6 months over 10 years ago, does that count? I don't think
Sydney, Australia could be considered California-based though :)
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
Reminds me of a song I heard on the radio.....  I think its called
"Californication" ...  (no point to that...just got it stuck in my
head...thought I'd share the misery) ;-)

-Andy

On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 01:22, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Sat, 5 Oct 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2002 02:44:19 +0100
> > From: Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>
> > To: Jakarta General List <ge...@jakarta.apache.org>
> > Subject: Re: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?
> >
> > On 4/10/02 14:49, "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I'd be more interested to hear statistics on how many people are
> > > California-based versus non-California based.  (It would help me with my
> > > research into Apache cultures and cliches ;-) for a paper I'm writing )
> >
> > More than "being" in CA, I would say, how many of us have "been there" and
> > did the "Silicon Valley" thing... I'm saying that because I spent 2 years in
> > CA, and feel strongly related to that environment... Only thing is now I
> > live in London (UK)...
> >

> I appreciate the willingness of Pier (and others) to work there.  All I
> can say is that *not* moving to the Bay Area was a condition of me
> accepting my job at Sun ... :-)
>
> >     Pier
> >

> Craig McClanahan (happily working from Portland, Oregon)

http://www.superlinksoftware.com - software solutions for business
http://jakarta.apache.org/poi - Excel/Word/OLE 2 Compound Document in
Java
http://krysalis.sourceforge.net/centipede - the best build/project
structure
		    a guy/gal could have! - Make Ant simple on complex Projects!
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh

Re: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 5/10/02 6:22, "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> I appreciate the willingness of Pier (and others) to work there.  All I
> can say is that *not* moving to the Bay Area was a condition of me
> accepting my job at Sun ... :-)

Aw, Craig, ye olde man... It's just the sunshine, the beaches, and the
parties that matter

> Craig McClanahan (happily working from Portland, Oregon)

Even rainier than London, I heard...

    Pier (metereopathic)

Re: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
Carnegie Mellon did a survey of ~300 Apache developers (56 committers) a
while ago, and posted interim results to respondents last month. With the
permission of the researcher, here are some stats:

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 03:35:18PM +0100, Danny Angus wrote:

> Vincent Massol once wrote:
>
> > I was curious to know who the other committers where, whether they shared
> the same beliefs I have, etc.
>
> This prompted me to wonder:
>
> 1/ are we..
> a)male
> b)female

98.89% male
1.11% female

> 2/are we
> a) young
> b) 20-30
> c) 30-40
> d) 40-50
> d) old

 < 19 : 1.1%
20-29 : 50.55%
30-39 : 41.03%
40-49 : 6.59%

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 3/10/02 15:35, "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > 2/are we
> > a) young
> > b) 20-30
> > c) 30-40
> > d) 40-50
> > d) old
>
> My mother would _kill_ your for saying that over-50 is "old"
>
>     Pier

The fact that Pier's mother listens to the mail list terrifies me.
Sometimes you can take the whole 'open-source development, get involved'
preaching a little too far.

Hen

Re: [Poll result] Committers, who are we?

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.