Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Bachran, Michael" <MB...@microstrategy.com> on 2000/11/21 12:02:33 UTC

Knowledge Management (Topic Maps)

Hi Anybody!

Is there any intention to do a project on knowledge management within the
ASF?
How about doing something on Topic Maps using them to deliver an additional
semantic layer to web applications using them for:
	- Navigation through the huge amount of information
	- Finding and accessing relevant information quick and easy by
filtering (maybe moddeling security in it?)

I am thinking about writing my diploma thesis on that and thought about
evaluating Cocoon in this scope, using it as publishing system for the
information and the navigation.

Maybe through an avalon block the functionality to generate xlink structures
that are needed to build paths to related ressources (maybe from producers)
can be provided ...
And ... generic search functionality on information enriched by a
xml-TopicMap layer might become handy ... ?

I am just thinking about it ...
Do you think something of this does make any sense?

Thanks for any feedback, Michael

Re: Knowledge Management (Topic Maps)

Posted by Lars Martin <la...@smb-tec.com>.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 06:02:33 -0500
"Bachran, Michael" <MB...@microstrategy.com> wrote:

> Hi Anybody!
>
> Is there any intention to do a project on knowledge management within the
> ASF?
> How about doing something on Topic Maps using them to deliver an additional
> semantic layer to web applications using them for:
> 	- Navigation through the huge amount of information
> 	- Finding and accessing relevant information quick and easy by
> filtering (maybe moddeling security in it?)
>
> I am thinking about writing my diploma thesis on that and thought about
> evaluating Cocoon in this scope, using it as publishing system for the
> information and the navigation.
>
> Maybe through an avalon block the functionality to generate xlink structures
> that are needed to build paths to related ressources (maybe from producers)
> can be provided ...
> And ... generic search functionality on information enriched by a
> xml-TopicMap layer might become handy ... ?

> I am just thinking about it ...
> Do you think something of this does make any sense?

We thought about topic maps and knowledge management features in the Prowler
developer team. You may have heard about Prowler, which is related to the
Cocoon Project very closely. Prowler provides content management functionalities
and uses Cocoon to transform the (XML) content to the clients format. Would
be nice to see TM in combination with Cocoon and Prowler.

Lars
Lars Martin                                 mailto:lars@smb-tec.com
SMB GmbH                                     http://www.smb-tec.com

Re: Knowledge Management (Topic Maps)

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 06:02  21/11/00 -0500, Bachran, Michael wrote:
>Hi Anybody!

Hi ;)

>Is there any intention to do a project on knowledge management within the
>ASF?

Not that I know of but I am nobody important ;)

>How about doing something on Topic Maps using them to deliver an additional
>semantic layer to web applications using them for:
>	- Navigation through the huge amount of information
>	- Finding and accessing relevant information quick and easy by
>filtering (maybe moddeling security in it?)

could be.

>I am thinking about writing my diploma thesis on that and thought about
>evaluating Cocoon in this scope, using it as publishing system for the
>information and the navigation.

ok.

>Maybe through an avalon block the functionality to generate xlink structures
>that are needed to build paths to related ressources (maybe from producers)
>can be provided ...
>And ... generic search functionality on information enriched by a
>xml-TopicMap layer might become handy ... ?

It could be handy ;)

>I am just thinking about it ...
>Do you think something of this does make any sense?

Well I would love to see something like this integrated with lucene (a java
search engine) aswell. However the best advice anyone can give is;

* do it if you like the idea
* do it if your supervisor has knowledge of it
* do it if you think it would be fun ;)

Just make sure that it is something that you can work into relevent
curriculum and get your marks for ;) Think of cocoon as a tool. While it is
a kewl tool ;) you have to ask yourself if it

a) suits your needs
b) is something you want to do

I would say that Cocoon2 will fulfill a) but you gotta decide if it
fulfills b). Happy Hacking ;)

Cheers,

Pete