Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by spiderman2 <sh...@bridgewatersystems.com> on 2007/02/07 22:12:03 UTC

High Availability and Network Of Brokers

Hi,

I'm a New user. I'd like to use activemq for a Network Of Brokers /
Clustered deployment. The catch is that I can't afford to loose a single
message in the event of failure.

In the Network of Brokers topology, I'm reading this isn't possible:

"At any point in time the message will only exist in one broker's store at
once until its consumed. In the future we will support high availability
brokers using a master-slave protocol where we willl replicate a message on
to a number of slave brokers for hot standby if the master broker were to be
unavailable for a certain period of time."
http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-distributed-queues-work.html
http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-distributed-queues-work.html

Today, is there a way to have High availability with a clustered approach?
Should I just use a Master/Slave instead?

Shawn

Re: High Availability and Network Of Brokers

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/07, spiderman2 <sh...@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:

> I've read about the shared database (known to be slow) and shared file
> system, SAN, (quite expensive HW). But where can I read about replicating
> messages.

The 'Pure Master Slave' is the third option...
http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html

> I was under the impression that Brokers currently do *not*
> replicate messages under a Network Of Brokers scenario. Only a M-S scenario.

Exactly. So a Master/Slave cluster acts like a single logical broker,
which depending on the M/S implementation it may use message
replication or may use a shared disk/file system / database
--

James
-------

Re: High Availability and Network Of Brokers

Posted by spiderman2 <sh...@bridgewatersystems.com>.
I've read about the shared database (known to be slow) and shared file
system, SAN, (quite expensive HW). But where can I read about replicating
messages. I was under the impression that Brokers currently do *not*
replicate messages under a Network Of Brokers scenario. Only a M-S scenario.

How can I read about this and use it?

Thanks,

Shawn

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 2/8/07, spiderman2 <sh...@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:

> But I'm concerned with respect to scalability. I'm assuming the Network of
> Brokers was created such that the deployment could scale to a large number
> of consumers.

A single broker can easily handle many thousands of consumers.

>  What kind of scalability issues/limits will I have with a
> Master/Slave scenario?

Master/Slave clusters can be networked together if you need them to.
The Master/Slave just defines the cluster which takes ownership of a
single message and ensures HA of those messages. You can network as
many Master/Slave clusters together as you need. (Though its usually
rare folks need more than one logical broker).

--

James
-------

Posted by spiderman2 <sh...@bridgewatersystems.com>.
But I'm concerned with respect to scalability. I'm assuming the Network of
Brokers was created such that the deployment could scale to a large number
of consumers. What kind of scalability issues/limits will I have with a
Master/Slave scenario?

Thanks!

Shawn

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yes, Master/Slave is the answer for high availability and to avoid
message loss if a broker dies.

On 2/7/07, spiderman2 <sh...@bridgewatersystems.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a New user. I'd like to use activemq for a Network Of Brokers /
> Clustered deployment. The catch is that I can't afford to loose a single
> message in the event of failure.
>
> In the Network of Brokers topology, I'm reading this isn't possible:
>
> "At any point in time the message will only exist in one broker's store at
> once until its consumed. In the future we will support high availability
> brokers using a master-slave protocol where we willl replicate a message on
> to a number of slave brokers for hot standby if the master broker were to be
> unavailable for a certain period of time."
> http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-distributed-queues-work.html
> http://activemq.apache.org/how-do-distributed-queues-work.html
>

> Today, is there a way to have High availability with a clustered approach?
> Should I just use a Master/Slave instead?
>

> Shawn

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/