Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by m_...@bellsouth.net on 2003/11/22 20:10:13 UTC

[users@httpd] httpd security

Hi, I set up a webserver for Apache 1.3.28 on one of my campus computers.
I can access this webserver on any other campus computer. However, if I try to access the server off campus, I get page not found.

I can ftp and telnet to the computer off campus.
Why can I not http to it ? Do I need to change something in my httpd.conf file ?

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Re: [users@httpd] httpd security

Posted by Robert Andersson <ro...@profundis.nu>.
m_hagen@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Hi, I set up a webserver for Apache 1.3.28 on one of my campus
> mputers.
> I can access this webserver on any other campus computer. However,
> I try to access the server off campus, I get page not found.

"Page Not Found" is Internet Explorer's generic error message, whatever
error happened, right?

Most likely a network problem; firewall blocking port 80, NAT forwarding to
some abyss. Connect with telnet to your server on port 80 and, if able to
connect, issue a simple "GET / HTTP/1.1" request (followed by two new-lines)
and see what you get.

Regards,
Robert Andersson