Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org> on 2021/07/05 06:47:32 UTC

Re: IP clearance officer for accepting Terraform

All,

We've completed most of the actions [1][2] per the IP clearance process [1]
and the initiative is tracked by a Github issue [2]. The ICLA and software
grants by the codebase/repo owner Sander van Harmelen has been acknowledged
by ASF secretary@ to PMC and all contributors have been asked for any
objections to the IP clearance / codebase relicensing/import initiatives.
To date we've not received any objections from contributors and most
contributors have agreed to this either over email thread or on the Github
issue [2].

Now we need an Officer or Member of the ASF to (1) check and commit the
completed IP clearance XML form (
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/cloudstack-terraform.xml),
(2) Start a vote on general@incubator, and finally (3) post the result
thread and notify the ACS PMC that codebase are cleared for import.

I had asked Paul last week who originally volunteered but hadn't seen any
further action. Paul can you confirm if you can start a vote on incubator@
or are busy and aren't able to do so this time?
If we don't hear from Paul in the next 72 hrs I propose we have our PMC
chair Gabriel to volunteer or find a volunteer per [1].
(I'm happy to volunteer as well, looks like I can svn commit the XML file.
I'll discuss/ask again on Wed)

[1] IP clearance process:
https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#process
[2] Github issue tracking IP clearance:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159

Regards.

On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 1:44 PM Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> All,
>
> Just a short update, I think we've reached out to all the contributors via
> this Github issue which is also tracking the IP clearance process:
> https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
>
> As per
> https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#process
> I think we should be able to start a vote on general@ shortly (say on
> Monday to give these contributors traditional 72hr window to raise any
> objections).
>
> Regards.
>
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2021 at 12:19 PM Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> > Alright, I'll create a Github issue as suggested in the example to
>> track IP
>> > clearance with list of all people and will try to reach out to all
>> > contributors within a limited time period and see if they can agree over
>> > the other legal thread and submit their ICLAs.
>>
>> While having an ICLA is ideal, I think a recorded agreement from the
>> major contributors is probably enough given the history here. You already
>> have that from most of them. If some don’t answer then just record that and
>> continue. It might be possible that other IPMC members might have a
>> different view on this.
>>
>> > This however wasn't advised on the IP clearance process:
>> > https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html
>>
>> It does say "Either an Individual CLA or Corporate CLA is preferred to a
>> Software Grant. All authors must sign an Individual CLA; or all owners of
>> IP must sign one of the three documents and send to secretary “. I’m still
>> slightly unclear on who the IP owners are. Sander is obviously one, but I
>> would guess it’s the other 8 or so other major contributors or possibly in
>> some cases their employers. Having an ICLA clears that up as the person
>> states that any contributions they make they are allowed to do so and have
>> their employers permission to do so.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Justin

FW: IP clearance officer for accepting Terraform

Posted by pa...@apache.org.
Sorry, me again.

As these two codebases are being brought over into two separate repos, and referred to as distinct entities, do they need separate Codebase IP Clearance XML files and then separate entries in index.xml ?

Kind regards

Paul Angus

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Widdis <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel, Justin, IPMC,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Please see Daniel's email on the commits that introduce the vendor
related codebase. Sharing the links of the two commits from Daniel's
email:
https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/commit/07febb7a6ba78e27224b37ad41e23bc4634b18b4
https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/commit/29c9bb4593b98f47add0c3eb69253290fe02a893

However, if you compare the changes in above commits against the
repositories being donated the "vendor" directory does not exist now
in both the repositories being donated:
https://github.com/xanzy/go-cloudstack
https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack (for example
vendor removed in this commit -
https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/commit/4db2f701592b5af74376f5b138624bff75763152)

I personally don't agree with Daniel's remarks that each and every
commit of the git repositories must be checked and pass IP clearance,
which is why I suggest instead of the git repository (with history) we
can just import the codebase tarball/source using the git tag source
as these tags/heads don't have the vendor codebase (i.e. the 3rd party
codebase not written by the contributors):
https://github.com/xanzy/go-cloudstack/releases/tag/apache-license-2.0
https://github.com/xanzy/terraform-provider-cloudstack/releases/tag/apache-license-2.0

I look forward to IPMC's advice, thanks.

Regards.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Daniel,

Are you satisfied with my reply to your email/concerns? Please see if
you haven't: https://markmail.org/message/bbqiqyj23na6vuaq

code addition and deletion tracked at
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159
2. We've the IP grants and ICLA from the repository owner Sander van
Harmelen which were also acknowledged by secretary@ ASF
3. On concern of IP on 3rd party codebase committed by authors - the
codebase/changes are in the vendor directory which is where most of
the (3rd party) code additions/deletions are seen. The vendor folder
(or vendoring) is not part of the codebase but is included in the
repositories for Go-based projects for build/tooling purposes as a
standard practice (see https://golang.org/ref/mod#vendoring for more
information). Many Apache Go-based projects include vendoring or a
vendor folder with dependency codebase (for example:
https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/tree/master/vendor,
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack-cloudmonkey/tree/main/vendor). I
think due to vendoring as a standard feature of Go-based projects and
tooling, we can exclude IP concerns on vendoring. Or, if that's not
satisfactory we can import the codebase from tarball (i.e. lose the
git history) excluding the vendor folder and later re-generate the
vendor folder using the "go mod tidy" or "go mod vendor" command post
codebase import or during building.

Regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.
ACS PMC,

The IP clearance is tracked at
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/5159 and we have been in
the position since last week to start the vote on incubator@. I've
asked a few times but haven't heard from our volunteer ASF member Paul
Angus. As my last attempt to Paul - are you able to
(1) check the XML doc
(https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/cloudstack-terraform.xml),
(2) post a message to general@incubator asking for clearance to be
checked (72hrs window),
(3) post a result thread and let project know code is cleared for import?
... as per https://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html#process

In the meanwhile I ask ASC PMC chair Gabriel to prepare to volunteer
or help find an appropriate volunteer and do (1)-(3) starting
Monday/next week. Tagging Sebastien too who has been IP clearance
officer for a couple of donations under the ACS project - who may
volunteer or advise us.

I'm happy to volunteer but I'm neither an officer nor a member of the
ASF; but I may have incubator karma (http://people.apache.org/~rohit)
if that means ability to commit the IP clearance xml doc to incubator
SVN. I've committed and updated the IP clearance XML today
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/public/trunk/content/ip-clearance/cloudstack-terraform.xml
which must be checked by whoever starts the vote on general@incubator.

Thanks and regards.

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@apache.org>.