Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Dan Mannisto <da...@machinebus.com> on 2006/09/13 21:43:04 UTC

Capacity and reliability

I work in the configuration management department of a good sized financial institution in the Chicago area.&nbsp; The company is in the process of converting all of its version control operations to Subversion.&nbsp; As part of an internal audit, we are being asked for evidence that Subversion has the capacity to support our operations.<BR>
<BR>
I'm guessing that there is very little 'hard' evidence available, and that most of it will be anecdotal<span style="font-size: 12pt; font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;;"></span>.&nbsp; Any information that you could provide will be helpful.<BR>
<BR>
We are more interested in other's experiences, than a critique of our configuration.&nbsp; That said, below is a brief description of our environment. <BR>
<BR>
- Our svn server runs on a dedicated Linux box with dual 3.2 GHz processors, 4GB of RAM, and 100 GB of NAS disk<BR>
- It is configured using FSFS<BR>
- Initial repository size is approximately 250MB.&nbsp; We expect the repository to grow by about 50MB per day.<BR>
- We anticipate around 100 server accesses (checkout, checkin, status, etc.) per hour and around 1000/day.<BR>
<BR>
Here are some of my questions:<BR>
<BR>
- How large is your repository in terms of total commits and disk space?<BR>
- Are you using Berkeley DB of FSFS?<BR>
- What sort of hardware are you running?&nbsp; Which OS? Processing capacity? How much RAM?<BR>
- What is your transaction volume like? Average number of concurrent transactions? Number if commits per day?<BR>
- Have you had any serious issues and/or what issues do you have maintaining your repository?<BR>
- How long has your repository been in existence?<BR>
<BR>
By the way, survey information like this would be a great thing to have on the Subversion web site.&nbsp; Especially for corporate users that are looking to replace commercial products.&nbsp; I'd be happy to contribute our statistics from time-to-time.<BR>
<BR>
Best regards,<BR>
Dan<BR>
<BR>
<BR>

Re: Capacity and reliability

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Mark wrote:
> is there a svn wiki out there somewhere?  just add onto that.

Yes, there's a wiki I recently created at

http://www.orcaware.com/svn/wiki/

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/

Re: Capacity and reliability

Posted by Mark <ma...@mitsein.net>.

On 9/18/06, Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com> wrote:
> Dan Mannisto <da...@machinebus.com> writes:
> > By the way, survey information like this would be a great thing to have on the
> > Subversion web site.  Especially for corporate users that are looking to
> > replace commercial products.  I'd be happy to contribute our statistics from
> > time-to-time.
>
> I think what we'd really need is someone to volunteer to maintain such
> a survey area.  Would you like to do it?  (Feel free to say no, of
> course, I just wanted to point out how things tend to get done around
> here... :-) ).
>
> Best,
> -Karl

Mark
"Blessed is he who finds happiness in his own foolishness, for he will
always be happy."

Re: Capacity and reliability

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.
Dan Mannisto <da...@machinebus.com> writes:
> I'd be happy to volunteer, if you or others think a survey area like
> this would be useful.  There are a lot of opinions about Subversion
> out there, all of which seem positive, but little hard evidence.  I
> know it would help our managers if there were some statistics that
> show how our repository compares in size, activity, etc. to others,
> what kind of uptime they are experiencing and what issues they
> encounter.  In other words, what is Subversion like from an admin
> perspective.

Thanks!  Don't underestimate the amount of work involved here --
asking questions, compiling statistics, and writing web pages can all
take a lot of time.  If you're still interested in doing it, I'd
suggest that you take the information already posted in this thread,
plus everything already reachable from subversion.tigris.org, and
easily-searchable stuff on the Net, and compile a sample web page
showing a general picture of "Subversion at Large Organizations".

People here can comment on the page, suggest improvements, suggest new
material, etc.  If at the end of the porcess, you're pleased with the
result, and the development community is too, we'll commit the web
page into the www/ area in the Subversion repository, and give you
partial commit access so you can maintain it there indefinitely.

Good luck, if you choose to do it!

Best,
-Karl

Posted by Dan Mannisto <da...@machineBus.com>.
Karl:

I'd be happy to volunteer, if you or others think a survey area like
this would be useful.  There are a lot of opinions about Subversion out
there, all of which seem positive, but little hard evidence.  I know it
would help our managers if there were some statistics that show how our
repository compares in size, activity, etc. to others, what kind of
uptime they are experiencing and what issues they encounter.  In other
words, what is Subversion like from an admin perspective.

Dan

Machine Bus Corp.
847 864-1030
http://www.machineBus.com

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@google.com>.

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.
Blair Zajac wrote:
> Dan Mannisto wrote:
>> - We anticipate around 100 server accesses (checkout, checkin, status,
>> etc.) per hour and around 1000/day.
>
> Besides the growing repository size, all this is easily doable with your
> server set up.  The number of accesses is small.

Since this is the sort of question that I was wondering about this week
as well... at what point does a repository contain too many revisions /
change sets?

10k? 100k? 1million?

Does switching to BDB instead of FSFS help or hinder at the upper-end?
Individual folders might only have 100-500 commits, but the overall
repository could be very large.

Re: Capacity and reliability

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Dan Mannisto wrote:
> I work in the configuration management department of a good sized
> financial institution in the Chicago area.  The company is in the
> process of converting all of its version control operations to
> Subversion.  As part of an internal audit, we are being asked for
> evidence that Subversion has the capacity to support our operations.
>
> I'm guessing that there is very little 'hard' evidence available, and
> that most of it will be anecdotal.  Any information that you could
> provide will be helpful.
>
> We are more interested in other's experiences, than a critique of our
> configuration.  That said, below is a brief description of our environment.
>
> - Our svn server runs on a dedicated Linux box with dual 3.2 GHz
> processors, 4GB of RAM, and 100 GB of NAS disk
> - It is configured using FSFS
> - Initial repository size is approximately 250MB.  We expect the
> repository to grow by about 50MB per day.

What are you checking in that accounts for 50 Mbyte per day?

> - We anticipate around 100 server accesses (checkout, checkin, status,
> etc.) per hour and around 1000/day.

Besides the growing repository size, all this is easily doable with your server
set up.  The number of accesses is small.

Regards,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<bl...@orcaware.com>
Subversion training, consulting and support
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/