Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net> on 2007/04/11 02:41:38 UTC

RE: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating

Hi folks,

Please jump in and vote on this release.  It has been well
over 4 weeks since my original submission.  What will it take
to get this vote moving?  Is there anything more that I need to do?!

Thanks!

-- George Aroush

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 11 April 2007 10:54, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> Personally, I think the project is suffering from a chicken-egg problem.
> Without releases no users, without users no developers, without developers
> no releases.

I also think that the advice recently given to FtpServer project (also a
single developer) should be assimilated with great care for Lucene.Net.

Without furthering the community, the project will never graduate. And right
now, even voting in new committers will be painful.

I suggest that you approach;
 a. Other committers in ASF that are or has been doing dotNet development.
 b. Lucene users. Many developers jump between Java and dotNet, and some of
    those may not know of Lucene.Net.

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> Personally, I think the project is suffering from a chicken-egg problem.
> Without releases no users, without users no developers, without developers no
> releases.
> Somehow it also feels to me that either dotNet has no credibility at ASF, or
> that ASF has no credibility for dotNet development. So few efforts are
> started, and even fewer get some momentum.

Unfortunately (speaking here as the developer of mod_aspdotnet) there are
plenty of users to be found, but I found very little development.  In spite
of persistent calls that 'this code will hit the road without oversight'
we never attracted more than a patch or two from a single coder, and were
never able to gain traction.

The upshot is that it has exited the ASF and now lives as a one-man-show
at sourceforge (where it still has a significant number of users).  Is it
a cultural difference of .NET development?  Perhaps.  Hard to name any
projects beyond mono with a wide committer base.

Of course Apache Lucene.Net doesn't have the ms-specific tie in, so one
hopes this will change.  But I wouldn't bank on your eggs hatching from
a release, since there are users out there, but they may or may not xlate
into developer/contributors.

Re: [[RESULT] (was: RE: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating)

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Sunday 22 April 2007 20:44, George Aroush wrote:

> Speaking of which, where is the office place to upload the release artifact
> to and what is the official mailing list to make the announcement?  Is
> there an ASF document I can read to learn all about this?

Check http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases first.

Cheers

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 4/25/07, George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Can someone help me find the answer to the following questions that I
> posted:
>
> > Speaking of which, where is the official place to upload the
> > release artifact to

i don't know. hopefully people will jump in.

>> and what is the official mailing list to
>> make the announcement?

unless there are good reasons not to (for example, under-the-radar
releases), use everyone that is on-topic. for lucence.NET i'd say
lucene lists, general and announcements@apache.org.

this lists are widely mirrored, well indexed and widely read so take
some time to create some good content for the announcement. remember
to include content describing lucene.NET for those who don't know what
it is and an invitation for new developers.

>> Is there an ASF document I can read
>> to learn all about this?

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html needs work
(i try to find some more time@apachecon)
http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases is reasonable

- robert

RE: [RESULT] (was: RE: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating)

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Hi folks,

Can someone help me find the answer to the following questions that I
posted:

> Speaking of which, where is the official place to upload the
> release artifact to and what is the official mailing list to
> make the announcement?  Is there an ASF document I can read
> to learn all about this?

Thanks!

-- George

[[RESULT] (was: RE: [VOTE] [Retry] Approve the release of Apache Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating)

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Hi folks,

The votes of Lucene.Net 2.0 build 004 incubating release have been tallied:

    +1 from Erik Hatcher
    +1 from Niclas Hedhman
    +1 from Ted Husted
    +0 from Robert Burrell Donkin

There were 3 binding Incubator PMC +1 votes and 1 +0 and no -1 votes.

I will follow up this email with an official release announcement.

Speaking of which, where is the office place to upload the release artifact
to and what is the official mailing list to make the announcement?  Is there
an ASF document I can read to learn all about this?

Thanks everyone!

-- George Aroush

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Hi Folks,

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.
Hi Niclas,

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Wednesday 11 April 2007 08:41, George Aroush wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Please jump in and vote on this release.  It has been well
> over 4 weeks since my original submission.  What will it take
> to get this vote moving?  Is there anything more that I need to do?!

Personally, I think the project is suffering from a chicken-egg problem.
Without releases no users, without users no developers, without developers no
releases.
Somehow it also feels to me that either dotNet has no credibility at ASF, or
that ASF has no credibility for dotNet development. So few efforts are
started, and even fewer get some momentum.

A quick peek... http://people.apache.org/~aroush/Lucene.Net-2.0-004/

ABOUT.txt contains a reference that George Aroush has developed Lucene.Net. We
have previously concluded that such balkanization is bad.

I am also pleased to see that the many remarks in the first round has been
attended to promptly.
However, there are 2 more subsystems in "contrib/" and the first file I
checked "Similarity.Net/AssemblyInfo.cs" didn't have the Apache License
header, but others did. I did not perform an exhaustive check. I would be