Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Sascha Kattelmann <sk...@tpip.net> on 2014/01/07 16:29:52 UTC

Qpid Dispatch building dependencies

Hi,

I'm currently thinking about using the Qpid Dispatch Router in context
of embedded systems. To keep the memory footprint as low as possible I'd
like to avoid installing Python for running the dispatch router. The
release note

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/dispatch/trunk/doc/book/release-0.1.md

states that "Qpid Proton version 0.6 must be installed (including the
Python bindings) to build Qpid Dispatch". I just want to get sure that
Python (and less important: Proton) is just a building dependency. Is
that true?

-Sascha

Re: Qpid Dispatch building dependencies

Posted by Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>.
Sascha,

The Python bindings for Proton are only needed for running the tests and
for running the qdstat utility.  Since qdstat uses AMQP, it can be
installed on a separate system and used to manage/monitor dispatch over
the network.  So the Python Proton bindings are not needed to run Dispatch.

However, Dispatch does need the python interpreter to be installed to
run since it uses embedded Python code to manage  the configuration and
to do route computation.  The fast path is pure C but the control plane
(route computation) is embedded Python.

-Ted