Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/21 21:17:45 UTC

[m2] OutOfMemoryError with MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1792m

I am putting almost 2GB to a build and still getting permGen errors.
Is there something else I can set?

Mick Knutson

http://www.baselogic.com
http://www.blincmagazine.com
http://www.djmick.com
http://www.myspace.com/mickknutson
http://www.myspace.com/djmick_dot_com
http://www.myspace.com/sexybeotches
http://www.thumpradio.com
---

Re: [m2] OutOfMemoryError with MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1792m

Posted by Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks....

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Stolwijk <ni...@planet.nl>.
Maybe you can try it with -XX:MaxPermSize The default value is 64M iirc.
If you set this to a higher value, it helps maybe. Still, it is good to
try out why you are using so much permgen space.

Hth,

Nick Stolwijk

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi!

> On 8/22/07, Mick Knutson <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am putting almost 2GB to a build and still getting permGen errors.

You have to be very carefully if you get close to the 2GB memory usage and you are running in an
32bit environment, since the number of available threads will get very low.

The reason is that Java reserves a specified memory for each started thread (imho it's 64MB as
standard, but this also depends on OS, JDK, etc) and you can't get beyond 2GB for all(except on
64bit Java). So if you reserve e.g. 1800MB you can only start ~10 parallel threads (i hope i
remember this right, but it was an unexpected low amount).

I don't know how your setup is, and if you e.g. use parallel thread in your unit tests or
somewhere else in your build. But this is a possible cause of OutOfMemoryErrors in your build and
increasing -Xmx will only make it worse since java then has less memory to open new threads.

See also the discussion at sun:
http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5226687

LieGrü,
strub

      Machen Sie Yahoo! zu Ihrer Startseite. Los geht's:
http://de.yahoo.com/set

Re: [m2] OutOfMemoryError with MAVEN_OPTS=-Xmx1792m

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@trongus.com>.

--
dIon Gillard
Rule #131 of Acquisition: Information is Profit.