Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Chris Simmons <ch...@NetChris.com> on 2004/01/03 06:01:30 UTC

James Newbie Q: Re-packaging the SAR or copy to JAMES_HOME/lib?

Hello:

I was working through the IBM mailet articles by Claude Duguay
(Available/Unavailable mailets).  When deploying mailets, the article
says that re-packaging the SAR is the "only viable way" to deploy new
mailets to James.  I followed the instructions on the James site about
simply placing them in the JAMES_HOME/lib dir (along with some other
JARs from the james.sar file) and everything seems to work fine.

Am I missing something?  Why would someone go to all the trouble of
re-packaging the SAR instead of just being able to deploy their jars to
the /lib dir?

--
Thank You,
Chris Simmons

Re: James Newbie Q: Re-packaging the SAR or copy to JAMES_HOME/lib?

Posted by Arno Schatz <ga...@gmx.net>.
Chris,

I read the article too. But went ahead and just deployed my Mailet into the lib
directory. Everything was fine (using James30a1). So I thought may be the article is a
bit outdated.

-Arno

Posted by Mark Swanson <ma...@ScheduleWorld.com>.
On January 3, 2004 12:01 am, Chris Simmons wrote:
> Am I missing something?  Why would someone go to all the trouble of
> re-packaging the SAR instead of just being able to deploy their jars to
> the /lib dir?

It's not that bad. After you create your mailet jar just:
jar uvf ${JAMES_DIR}/apps/james.sar SAR-INF/lib/YourMailet.jar

Keep in mind you have to use the JDK jar as GNU jar doesn't support this.

--
Schedule your world with ScheduleWorld.com
http://www.ScheduleWorld.com/