Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pierre Goupil <go...@gmail.com> on 2009/06/10 21:15:52 UTC

Re: Does user's network connection speed affect "response time" loggedby AccessLogValve (i.e. "%D") ?

Hello,

I'm sorry but... Does it mean that network connection speed effectively
affect the response time logged by the AccessLogValve ? Something is still
unclear for me, I'm afraid.

Regards,

Pierre

--
Sans amis était le grand maître des mondes,
Eprouvait manque, ce pour quoi il créa les esprits,

(Schiller, "l'amitié")

RE: Does user's network connection speed affect "response time" loggedby AccessLogValve (i.e. "%D") ?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pierre Goupil [mailto:goupilpierre@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Does user's network connection speed affect "response
> time" loggedby AccessLogValve (i.e. "%D") ?
>
> Does it mean that network connection speed effectively
> affect the response time logged by the AccessLogValve ?

In a word yes, but only for large transfers.  If the servlet has to wait for more input from the client, that will count; if the output cannot be sent immediately due to congestion or the client not ACK'ing the transfers, that can also delay the servlet.  Whether or not such conditions could occur depend mostly on what and how much you're receiving and sending.

 - Chuck