Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com> on 2009/08/29 15:08:10 UTC

Fixing commit/import error

I've not worked on a project since before upgrading my distribution
(Slackware) earlier this year. Yesterday I went back to the project and
ensured it still worked with upgraded tool versions. It does. However, when
I tried to commit the changes the attempt failed:

[rshepard@salmo /data1/eikos]$ svn commit -m "New python, wxPython
versions."
svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///usr2/svn-repos/eikos/trunk'
svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem '/usr2/svn-repos/db' while opening
environment:

svn: Cannot allocate memory
svn: bdb: unable to allocate memory for mutex; resize mutex region

   I could not find any help in Mike Mason's "Pragmatic Version Control Using
Subversion" which I've had since it was published in 2005.

   The repository no longer has a directory for this project (named 'eikos'):

[rshepard@salmo /data1/eikos]$ ls /usr2/svn-repos/
README.txt  conf/  dav/  db/  format*  hooks/  locks/

so I tried to re-import the project and start counting versions again. That,
too, failed for the same reason. However, in the project directory's
.svn/entries I see data that appears to span the years I worked on the
project.

   I would greatly appreciate help in learning what broke and what I do to
fix the problem(s) so I can once again use subversion-1.5.7, currently, for
this project.

Rich

Re: Fixing commit/import error -- FIXED

Posted by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>.
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Rich Shepard wrote:

> However, when I tried to commit the changes the attempt failed:

   I completely removed the repository and the .svn directory in the project
directory, then recreated the former. Now the import command works.

   Is there a way for me to rebuild Subversion specifying a different db back
end and avoid this problem in the future?

Thanks,

Posted by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>.
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009, Hari Kodungallur wrote:

> This is a bdb issue. Bdb must have got upgraded along with the slackware
> upgrade. But the data was created using old version of bdb. May be this
> thread that I found after googling might help:
> http://archives.devshed.com/forums/networking-100/error-after-os-upgrade-2356245.html

Hari,

   That thread is specific to LDAP.

> You you could just dump the data (svnadmin dump) and then load it into a
> new FSFS repository. This way it is not dependent on BDB anymore.

   I tried running 'svnadmin dump /usr2/svn-repos' but nothing seemed to have
happened because of the same BerkeleyDB error.

   A Google search for 'upgrading BerkeleyDB' produced hits, but the
instructions are self-referential, use commands that don't run here, and
appear oriented to those who really know that DB well.

   What would be very helpful is a step-by-step recipe for upgrading BDB to
the current 4.4.20.

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM, Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> I've not worked on a project since before upgrading my distribution
> (Slackware) earlier this year. Yesterday I went back to the project and
> ensured it still worked with upgraded tool versions. It does. However, when
> I tried to commit the changes the attempt failed:
>
> [rshepard@salmo /data1/eikos]$ svn commit -m "New python, wxPython
> versions."
> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///usr2/svn-repos/eikos/trunk'
> svn: Berkeley DB error for filesystem '/usr2/svn-repos/db' while opening
> environment:
>
> svn: Cannot allocate memory
> svn: bdb: unable to allocate memory for mutex; resize mutex region
>
>   I could not find any help in Mike Mason's "Pragmatic Version Control
> Using
> Subversion" which I've had since it was published in 2005.

This is a bdb issue. Bdb must have got upgraded along with the slackware
upgrade. But the data was created using old version of bdb.
May be this thread that I found after googling might help:
http://archives.devshed.com/forums/networking-100/error-after-os-upgrade-2356245.html

You you could just dump the data (svnadmin dump) and then load it into a new
FSFS repository. This way it is not dependent on BDB anymore.

>   The repository no longer has a directory for this project (named
> 'eikos'):
>
> [rshepard@salmo /data1/eikos]$ ls /usr2/svn-repos/
> README.txt  conf/  dav/  db/  format*  hooks/  locks/

This is alright. All the information regarding the directory structure is
within the database.