Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2005/07/23 08:23:31 UTC

[OT][JXPlorer] Anyone know how to get custom html views to show multivalued attribute?

Hi all,

I guess this is really a question for Chris Betts more than anyone
else.  Since it is probably going to incubate I figure this is a good
place to ask about it ;).

I'm trying to create custom views with JXPlorer using the html form
mechanism.  Everything is great however I'm a little stumped by the
multivalued attribute problem.  Meaning how do I use an html form to
allow for user interaction with multivalued attributes?  I'm begining to
think there might not be a way to do this and that I may have to resort
to using a custom view for JXPlorer.  Is this the case Chris?

Alex

P.S. This is really not that far off topic.

Re: Anyone know how to get custom html views to show multivalued attribute?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Alex Karasulu wrote:

> Chris,
>
> I have yet another question.
> When I use the jxplorer.bat file which I have to.  I cannot relocate
> or rename the Launch Anywhere exe on win32 without breaking it so I
> need that bat file.
> For some reason when I run JXP with the bat file the icons I installed
> and the HTML forms are not being used.  Incidentally I have installed
> JXPlorer and copied it elsewhere to add my own icons without messing
> up the original copy.  Could the installation be making the bat file
> look at the initial installed directory which does not have my icons
> and forms?

Looks like the bat file is pretty simple.  So it cannot be using an
installed env variable which I had thought it did.  Regardless JXPlorer
is totally not picking up my html files which work on unix and mac.  Do
I need to add the templates directory to the classpath or something?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Anyone know how to get custom html views to show multivalued attribute?

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
chris@pegacat.com wrote:

> Hi Alex
>
>> I guess this is really a question for Chris Betts more than anyone
>> else.  Since it is probably going to incubate I figure this is a good
>> place to ask about it ;).
>

> I keep hassling 'em about the transfer - the wheels grind exceeding
> slow, but they are grinding... :-)

Good because I can't wait.  I really love JXPlorer and how easy it is to
extend it.  You did a great job here.

>> I'm trying to create custom views with JXPlorer using the html form
>> mechanism.  Everything is great however I'm a little stumped by the
>> multivalued attribute problem.  Meaning how do I use an html form to
>> allow for user interaction with multivalued attributes?  I'm begining
>> to think there might not be a way to do this and that I may have to
>> resort to using a custom view for JXPlorer.  Is this the case Chris?
>

> *cough*.  The html multi-attribute problem is an old one.  It's more
> Trudi's area than mine, but from memory we decided that while we would
> allow the *display* of multiple attributes in an html form, allowing
> the user to *add* new attributes was just too much like hard work, and
> we would insist on them using the table display (or custom plugins)
> for that sort of stuff.

Ok I figured that much.  The display of multiple attributes is working
really well with the HTML forms.  It's just as you say to add an
additional multivalued attribute value you have to use another means
like the table editor.

> I think Trudi put in some special code to allow it in some very
> specific circumstances, but I don't recall the details?  (Trudi?)
> The html display is actually aimed at unsophisticated users who would
> like to use forms to interact with a directory - it's not really a
> general purpose tool to do everything.  If you're trying to do really
> clever things you should use a plugin...

Yeah that was my next step.  The HTML thingy was just a show em what can
be.  Then the next real move will be to use plugins.

> Of course, a not insignificant part of the html code was written last
> millenium back in the java 1.1 days, so if anyone is keen to do a
> top-to-bottom rewrite...? *looks hopeful*...

Thanks Chris that helped understand where I must now go with this little
pet company project I'm doing.

Alex

Re: Anyone know how to get custom html views to show multivalued attribute?

Posted by ch...@pegacat.com.
Hi Alex

> I guess this is really a question for Chris Betts more than anyone else.
> Since it is probably going to incubate I figure this is a good place to
> ask about it ;).

I keep hassling 'em about the transfer - the wheels grind exceeding slow,
but they are grinding... :-)

> I'm trying to create custom views with JXPlorer using the html form
> mechanism.  Everything is great however I'm a little stumped by the
> multivalued attribute problem.  Meaning how do I use an html form to allow
> for user interaction with multivalued attributes?  I'm begining to think
> there might not be a way to do this and that I may have to resort to using
> a custom view for JXPlorer.  Is this the case Chris?

*cough*.  The html multi-attribute problem is an old one.  It's more Trudi's
area than mine, but from memory we decided that while we would allow the
*display* of multiple attributes in an html form, allowing the user to *add*
new attributes was just too much like hard work, and we would insist on them
using the table display (or custom plugins) for that sort of stuff.  I think
Trudi put in some special code to allow it in some very specific
circumstances, but I don't recall the details?  (Trudi?)

The html display is actually aimed at unsophisticated users who would like
to use forms to interact with a directory - it's not really a general
purpose tool to do everything.  If you're trying to do really clever things
you should use a plugin...

Of course, a not insignificant part of the html code was written last
millenium back in the java 1.1 days, so if anyone is keen to do a
top-to-bottom rewrite...? *looks hopeful*...

  - Chris

> Alex
>
> P.S. This is really not that far off topic.

Dr Christopher Betts
Melbourne, Australia
pegacat.com

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn,